Whats better: 14 gauge or 16 gauge copper sink?

And why? Thanks in advance

Update:

Shelli; Everything I've read online, including the other two answers below, says that 14 gauge is the thicker material, not 16. But thanks for taking the time to answer.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

14 gage is a thicker metal. This means it will not dent as easily as a 16 gage sink, if something is dropped in it, heheh. That's probably going to be your main concern with a copper sink - dishes, glasses, pots, etc, being dropped into it when washing them.

By the way, when talking about the 'gage' of metal, the smaller number is the thicker material. It refers to (literally) how many pieces of wire can be drawn from a 1" thick rod of the metal. 14 gage = 14 identically sized wires, and 16 gage = 16 wires, etc.... therefor, the more wires you divide the rod up into, the smaller they are.

Have Fun

• stchur
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

16 Gauge Copper

• 9 years ago

The bigger the gauge the thicker the metal. The thicker the metal, the heavier it is. I suppose you could look at this as a general rule of thumb the more metal in the sink the more durable it will be. I suppose if you like to pour acids in the sink because you are doing certain lab work you would want a more durable sink. Then there's something called overkill. You reach the point of is it more metal than I actually need to do the job? Does the copper sink with a higher gauge come with a longer manufacturer's guarantee? Is it now so heavy it takes extra people just to carry into your place of installation? Is it costing an arm and a leg more to buy? Considering all of these options can help you make a decision. However, I'd go with the 16 gauge because I know heavy metal is stronger. I use sinks for art projects and I love buying the best tools possible.

• joea
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

14 gauge is thicker material . why ? well the copper sink will be more durable and last longer for the material is of better gauge

Source(s): master plumber
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.