Why is the name of Poland the only name in that country that is normal?

My grandpa Kierylo came over from Tarasowka which is in poland.But my question is ,why does that country have such a normal name compared to the bizarre names of their towns and cities there?It is surrounded by strangely named countries like,Czech,Slovakia,ukraine,etc.Also if there is alot of Polish people in the USA,then how come no one can pronounce Polish names?,And how much harder is Polish to learn,than say Spanish?

Favorite Answer

As someone said, the Polish name for Poland is Polska. And the full name is... Rzeczpospolita Polska (Republic of Poland). That's probably not so easy for you. :>

I assume that few people put effort in learning the pronunciation of foreign names. No one can pronounce correct Chinese names too. In fact, you need long practice to learn pronouncing sounds or sound connections that you haven't learned as a child (because they're not a part of your native language).

An English speaking person needs to study for about 2 or 3 times longer to learn Polish than Spanish. It is the most difficult Slavic language. But still it's easier than Chinese or Arabic, for instance.

Poland is the English name. The original Polish name is "Polska" And some of their major cities and national parks, have also been changed to English names. By English speaking ppl of course.

And yes. For Americans Polish is extremely difficult. They'll never learn how to say my last name.