ADA Compliant Sidewalks Question?

My city is wanting to put in some new sidewalks along the side of a city street, but it is a long, narrow stretch that would give any sidewalk put there a signficant running slope (greater than 5%). The Accessible Routes chapter of the ADA standards say that the running slope of a walking surface, e.g., a sidewalk, cannot exceed 5% (1 in 20), and the girl on the other end of the ADA hotline that I just talked to said that there are no exceptions to this. So we are left with either putting in a several hundred foot long, severely convoluted series of ramps and landings, or doing a ton of regrading work (neither of which is desirable in the least bit).

But my question is though: are there really no exceptions or alternatives to these standards? What about super hilly cities like Feyetteville AK or San Fransisco CA, where it would be infeasable to regrade so extensively? They have regular sidwalks there don't they?

• Mark G
    Favorite Answer

A side walk is not an accessible route, its a side walk. An accessible route is a walkway which makes it possible for a disabled person to go from a parking lot or locations to another location connected to it.

Here are the requirements for what is an accessible route.

http://www.naffainc.com/x/CodeBuddy5h98/ADAFiles/a...

I don't know who told you that at the ADA hotline but they got it all wrong. The 5% slope has to do with accessibility ramps. That is, the slope of the ramp going into a building or the slope going from the sidewalk onto the street that's cut into the curb. The sidewalk itself is NOT included in this.

Source(s): My house is on a hill that has a sidewalk at substantially more than a 5% grade (in Philly)