Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 9 years ago

NYC Gun Laws, and how to do it?

I'm going to college in the city, and I have friends who are going all over Staten Island, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and New Jersey. Because I don't know the city at all, I'm afraid I'm going to stumble into a bad neighborhood. I'm thinking of buying a handgun for protection, and I heard that it's possible to buy a weapon in a state like New Hampshire, where gun laws are relaxed, and bring it here, but I don't know the details, and I don't want to be arrested if I do it wrong. Is there anyone who can help?

Favorite Answer

You heard wrong.

New York and New Jersey are two of the most anti-gun states in this country.

You cannot just carry a weapon around unless you want to go to jail.

Both New York and New Jersey are NOT "shall issue" states, where anyone who meets the legal requirements can take the proper safety course and get approved for concealed carry.

NY and NJ require you to show a reason why you wish to obtain a license to carry a weapon, and you have to go through a long and costly process to even try to obtain one.

I know from personal experience, that in New Jersey, you are required to have a firearms ID card to even buy a BB Gun.

NY and NJ are two of the most anti second amendment states in this country.

Even then, you could spend several hundred dollars on the application process and still be denied.

You are going to school in the wrong state if you wish to be able to legally defend yourself from criminals.

You can carry a gun or you can live in NYC ... chances are doing both is impossible!

Your best bet is to transfer to a college located in a state that honors the 2nd amendment.

NYC is partial to no carry laws. You need a special carrying permit by the police commissioner and it is rarely given.

In short law abiding citizens cannot carry a gun with them without a permit from the police commissioner.

It will never happen legally. Almost impossible to get a permit. NYC does have special provisions, but only for politicians and judges and such. If you get caught, you're looking at serious jail time.

As long as you live in a Liberal (communist) state you will never be allowed to do that.