What Does The Ending To The Movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" Supossed To Mean Anyway?

I used to watch the movie when i was a kid when my mom and dad had movie night, And when i watched it alot of the movie didn't get to me when i was just a kid, execpt the pretty color's and those rainbow line's i thought were cool, and when i watched the ending i had nightmare's for day's! But then when iam an adult now i decided to go through my old VHS collection and watch it again and now that iam older alot of the stuff make's sense, exept for the ending! i watched it a second time and i still did not get it at all! It frustrate's me to watch a movie and did not get the climax to it! Can someone explain to me what the ending mean's please! I get the rest of the movie about HAL 9000 and the computer trying to take over the space ship and all, but not the last 25 min's of it! It's A Great Movie, Probly one of the best ever made! I will give 10 point's to the best awnser! Thank You!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Follow my link to an insightful discussion of the movie on wiki. They talk about the ending, the monolith and HAL. Very informative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretations_of_20...

Source(s): Fatwayne
  • klohs
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Did you hassle to think approximately, on your question, no remember if there became a HAL 9000 in 2001 and no remember if we had relatively despatched a 5-guy-undertaking to Jupiter? Or having a lunar station? Or a extensive orbitting station, able to comfortably accomodating human beings in mild gravity? At which factor are you going to come to a decision that technology fiction books have not got the pretense to predict the destiny?!

• ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Well the ending has always been confusing to me too and I know loads of people

who didn't understand the end also.

So many people can't understand the films ending and the explanations that have been

put forward don't make any sense to me.

I think when the film was made they wanted a confusing ending I suppose different

people will put there own interpretation on it there is no proper ending.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's a message to the youth to take drugs, because that's the only way any part of that movie will make any sense

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

read the book- you'll see that the author made the ending confusing and surreal, the movie is one of the few that stays as true to the original material as possible. i believe it's meant to make you think

• Marco
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Nobody really knows. There are different theories on it.

Maybe this help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P95NWAHWLrc

Youtube thumbnail

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.