What Does The Ending To The Movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" Supossed To Mean Anyway?

I used to watch the movie when i was a kid when my mom and dad had movie night, And when i watched it alot of the movie didn't get to me when i was just a kid, execpt the pretty color's and those rainbow line's i thought were cool, and when i watched the ending i had nightmare's for day's! But... show more I used to watch the movie when i was a kid when my mom and dad had movie night, And when i watched it alot of the movie didn't get to me when i was just a kid, execpt the pretty color's and those rainbow line's i thought were cool, and when i watched the ending i had nightmare's for day's! But then when iam an adult now i decided to go through my old VHS collection and watch it again and now that iam older alot of the stuff make's sense, exept for the ending! i watched it a second time and i still did not get it at all! It frustrate's me to watch a movie and did not get the climax to it! Can someone explain to me what the ending mean's please! I get the rest of the movie about HAL 9000 and the computer trying to take over the space ship and all, but not the last 25 min's of it! It's A Great Movie, Probly one of the best ever made! I will give 10 point's to the best awnser! Thank You!