What do you do if you want to get closer to God?

• Randie
    Favorite Answer

bandeye,

Good question........

To understand someone you take the time to research and read about them. The best way to get closer to God is by reading the Bible. This is where you get to know him, see his personality and get to know his character.

If you want to get the most and the best out of studying the Bible you will want to use this little work book. http://www.watchtower.org/e/publications… It is entititled "What Does the Bible Really Teach."

It is awesome. It is used in over 235 languages worldwide.

You can click on the yellow book and start reading it right away. What I recommend tho is that you go to the home page and request a free home Bible course. http://www.watchtower.org/

It will say this.

Your Personal Invitation:

Would you like to have a

personal home Bible study

and increase your knowledge

of the Bible?

I've been teaching Bible courses for a little over 20 years and I won't use any other publication.

Here is a sample of the first chapter:

CHAPTER ONE

What Is the Truth About God?

Does God really care about you?

What is God like? Does he have a name?

Is it possible to get close to God?

"HAVE you ever noticed the way children ask questions? Many start asking as soon as they learn to speak. With wide, eager eyes, they look up at you and ask such things as: Why is the sky blue? What are the stars made of? Who taught the birds to sing? You may try hard to answer, but it is not always easy. Even your best answer may lead to yet another question: Why?

2 Children are not the only ones who ask questions. As we grow up, we keep asking. We do this in order to find our way, to learn of dangers that we need to avoid, or to satisfy our curiosity. But many people seem to stop asking questions, especially the most important ones. At least, they stop searching for the answers.

3 Think about the question on the cover of this book, the questions raised in the preface, or those at the beginning of this chapter. These are some of the most important questions you can ask. Yet, many people have given up trying to find the answers. Why? Does the Bible have the answers? Some feel that its answers are too hard to understand. Others worry that asking questions could lead to shame or embarrassment. And some decide that such questions are best left to religious leaders and teachers. What about you?

4 Very likely you are interested in getting answers to life’s big questions. No doubt you sometimes wonder: ‘What is the purpose of life? Is this life all there is? What is God really like?’ It is good to ask such questions, and it is important that you do not give up until you find satisfying, reliable answers. The famous teacher Jesus Christ said: “Keep on asking, and it will be given you; keep on seeking, and you will find; keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.”—Matthew 7:7.

5 If you “keep on seeking” for answers to the important questions, you will find that the search can be very rewarding. (Proverbs 2:1-5) Despite what other people may have told you, there are answers, and you can find them—in the Bible. The answers are not too hard to understand. Better yet, they bring hope and joy. And they can help you to live a satisfying life right now. To begin, let us consider a question that has troubled many people.

IS GOD UNCARING AND HARDHEARTED?

6 Many people think that the answer to that question is yes. ‘If God cared,’ they reason, ‘would not the world be a very different place?’ We look around and see a world full of war, hatred, and misery. And as individuals, we get sick, we suffer, we lose loved ones in death. Thus, many say, ‘If God cared about us and our problems, would he not prevent such things from happening?’

7 Worse yet, religious teachers sometimes lead people to think that God is hardhearted. How so? When tragedy strikes, they say that it is God’s will. In effect, such teachers blame God for the bad things that happen. Is that the truth about God? What does the Bible really teach? James 1:13 answers: “When under trial, let no one say: ‘I am being tried by God.’ For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone.” So God is never the source of the wickedness you see in the world around you. (Job 34:10-12) Granted, he does allow bad things to happen. But there is a big difference between allowing something to happen and causing it.

8 For example, think about a wise and loving father with a grown son who is still living at home with his parents. When the son becomes rebellious and decides to leave home, his father does not stop him. The son pursues a bad way of life and gets into trouble. Is the father the cause of his son’s problems? No. (Luke 15:11-13) Similarly, God has not stopped humans when they have chosen to pursue a bad.........................

Again, you have a great question. Wishing you the best in your endeavor.

To get closer to God you need to do some of the very same things we do when we are trying to get to know another person. We start with the basics of knowing their name. Then as we spend time with them we learn how they feel and think about certain things. God has a book the Bible, that's makes it possible for us to get closer to him. In this book he invites us to do so. (James 4:8) Make your desire a subject of sincere prayer. For further information go to Watchtower.org to read the publication, "What Does the Bible Really Teach".

Source(s): NWT Holy Scriptures

I pray. Or read the Bible. Or both. Doing work in the name of God will also bring your heart closer to Him.

Pray the holy rosary for world peace and for all of Gods children to pray the holy rosary and great will be your rewards in heaven.

Explore and discover the many gifts of apparitions that God has sent for your spiritual guidance,enjoyment and enrichment,for as in gods Pieta Prayer book,great are the heavenly treasures within these gifts.

Here is a blessing and a our father prayed just for you,and here is a loving hug from jesus christ for all of Gods children.

Source(s): the holy apostle james the greater

Read his word, the bible. Get help and advice from those who study it and know it well.

There is a few things I will share with you that have helped me get or feel closer.

He loves me for who I am at this very moment. He does not see my sins Jesus blood covers it.

I ask for forgiveness and He forgives me because he loves me more than I could ever love anyone. More than anyone loves me. He really does want to hear from me, yes he already knows what I'll say but knowing and hearing are two different things.

Listen to Closer

Pray a lot.Read your Bible.Listen when God speaks.Get rid of stuff that separates you from him.An realize you can't earn his love.It is free.

If you have accepted the atonement you have the indwelling of God, we grow in our relationship through prayer, through his word and meditating on God.

there are many things, but you can start by praying.

Read the Bible to find out more.

• Cat

Just talk to him like another person.