Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

how can leave mayonnaise on the counter and it not spoil?

have seen in supermarkets..they dont keep it refridgerated..but they say once you open it that it is contammable for "Salmenela"..is this true?

why is this?

anything can explain appreciated.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

You don't need to refrigerate mayonnaise if the jar is still factory sealed. There are lots of foods like that - they state "Refrigerate after opening. Use within...." These are foods that can be easily contaminated by air and keeping them cold helps to preserve them. As soon as you break the factory seal you have exposed them to potential contaminants and should follow storage advice and recommended use by instructions.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Ok story goes .Mayonnaise is made from raw egss ,therefore needs to be kept refridgerated so the eggs dont gather bacteria.namely Samonella in this case.same as coleslaw and the like .Like it can be kept out for we will say maybe 15 mins at the very most .But anything more really is cutting it

• ?
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Mayo is NOT to be left outside of the fridge, without be cooled by something else, and it gets all funky (like darkened color and hard) if air hits it for extended periods of time. For this reason, youll usually see tuna salad and all those store made dips sitting in a metal bowl, and that bowl is sitting in another bowl, which is fulla ice. Even still - I dont trust it. I NEVER eat a sample - so gross!!! Its not even the mayo you have to worry about - what about everyones hands. Ive even seen young kids lick crackers and put em back - ewwwwww......

• 9 years ago

Mayonnaise CAN BE LEFT OUT on or inside the cupboard with no repercussions, as it WILL NOT SPOIL because they add enough preservatives to keep it forever, plus it is pasteurized. I know this statement is 100%completely true from past experience.. The only time you need o refrig mayo is when you make it from scratch.

Source(s): pro chef.......MOM
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

It is true. I suggest google for a better explanation.

A way you can leave it on the counter without it spoiling is by placing a fridge on your counter and then placing the mayonnaise in the fridge.

Hope this helps.

• 9 years ago

The jar is shelf stable at the store meaning that it has been sealed and pasteurized in a way that kills and inhibits micro-organism growth. Once you open the jar, you are exposing the contents to oxygen which encourages growth of undesirable organisms.

Please do not leave mayo out. It contains eggs. You can make yourself very sick if you do.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes this is true.

Because there is eggs in it and the fats and oils start to separate.

It takes about 1-3 hours before mayonnaise goes bad when left out open.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Huh? What are you saying?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

it goes orange.

Source(s): happened to me....
  • 9 years ago

idk *magic*

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.