Is a leather strop necessary when sharpening a pocket knife?

I recently caught the high end pocket knife bug. I bought myself a small Chris Reeve Sebenza pocket knife a few weeks ago and it has gotten a little dull. I tried to sharpen it on an old sharpening stone my grandpa gave me and being unexperienced at sharpening, not only did it seem to make my knife more dull then... show more I recently caught the high end pocket knife bug. I bought myself a small Chris Reeve Sebenza pocket knife a few weeks ago and it has gotten a little dull. I tried to sharpen it on an old sharpening stone my grandpa gave me and being unexperienced at sharpening, not only did it seem to make my knife more dull then it already was, it also put a few ugly scratches on the side of my nice knife.

Anyway, getting to the point... I ordered a nicer Spyderco knife sharpener online but I've noticed in a few youtube instructional videos that a lot of people use a leather strop on their knife after they sharpen it. I was wondering if I needed to go order a leather strop. What does the strop do for me?
Update: @Colonol: It's a Small Sebenza. So far it's the only knife I have other than an old buck knife.