Who are the classic authors that I should be reading?

I want to be a writer, and I know that there are certain classic authors that are pretty much 'basic.' Milton, Lovecraft, Collins, etc. But, I also know that there are a lot that I'm missing. Can anybody give me a list?

Favorite Answer

Read whatever you want. But if you're looking for classic literature I can name some things.

Jane Austen

Alexander Dumas

Daphne Du Maurier

Edith Wharton

Fyodor Dostoevsky

James Joyce ( I love his prose)

Anton Chekhov

Gabrial Garcia Marquez

Vonnegut

Macchiavelli

The three Bronte's

Agatha Christie

Elizabeth Goudge- I've only read: Green Dolphin Street : fantastic book.

Upton Sinclair

T.H. White

Louisa May Alcott

S.E. Hinton

H.G. Wells

What was the authors name for Red Badge of Courage? I can;t remember... stephen something

George Bernard Shaw - I have read Cyrano De Bergerac and Pygmalian. both pretty good (plays)

Well it really kind of depends. For instance, I actually haven't read any Lovecraft and I don't think I'm a worse author for it, but I don't write anything in the genre that Lovecraft (more or less) created. From what you've got so far, I would add Poe, Dante, Kafka, Asimov, Orwell, Mary Shelley, and H.G. Wells... And then just in general, I would say make sure you brush up on your more classic classics like Shakespeare and Camus and all that. Also, if you really want to expand your reading, try some non-European classics, like Achebe or Ngugi or Marquez.

You don't have to read any classics to become a good writer. You do need to read a lot, especially within the genre you want to write in. Once classics were just ordinary stories, and it was the good writing that propelled them into the "classics" category. There are classics being written today, but have not been out long enough to be considered classic. Read a lot, and then focus on learning to write well.

• keinz

once you're saying classics, do you mean Greek and Roman or in basic terms something older than 50 years old? In the two case, i prefer to advise Ovid's Metamorphoses (humorous!). in any different case, Salinger, Austen, and Dumas are a number of my favorites.

• LeeBee

Well I don't know if these are really what you're looking for but...

Nathaniel Hawthorne

Jane Austen (gotta get some women in there)

maybe a little bit of Joseph Conrad

Arthur Miller (plays)

Shakespeare

T.S. Eliot

Robert Frost

Mark Twain

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Ernest Hemingway

I'll add more if and when I think of them!

Have a good afternoon!

lbee

Jack london, Dumas, Robert Louis Stevensen

J.K. Rowling.