Stephanie F asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Heart murmurs in cavaliers k c's?

My 5 year old cavalier charlies been diagnosed with a heart murmur grade 1-2 today, and we went to the vets a year ago and he was fine, im worried its came on to quickly, what are the rates of these heart murmurs progressing, is there anything to slow it down? can you give me more info, i dont know much about heart murmurs is it rare in cavaliers? :( help

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No, unfortunately heart murmurs are very common in Cavaliers, especially those that are bred by back yard breeders because they don't breed from health tested dogs. It's always best to buy a Cavalier from a reputable breeder who has their breeding stock heart tested and who will be happy to give you a copy of the test results.

A grade 1 murmur is not serious but you'll need to take him to the vet frequently to have him checked. There is medication available for Mitral Valve Disease but grade 1 murmur dogs are not usually treated unless the the murmur increases fairly quickly to a higher grade. Watch for coughing. If the dog starts coughing, take him to the vet.

Was your vet not able to establish if the murmur was a grade 1 or 2? Did they suggest you should have a canine cardiologist see your dog.

I have a 7yo Cav and a 6yo and so far no heart or eye problems. They're both registered dogs from health tested parents, but one of them has had spinal surgery for a ruptured disk. Following the surgery he developed pneumonia but he has now completely recovered.

Best of luck.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Apparently, its pretty common.

"Some severe genetic disorders, such as mitral valve disease, are pervasive in cavaliers. By age five years, over half of all cavalier King Charles spaniels have mitral valve murmurs, and that percentage increases to the point that among those that survive to age ten years, nearly all of them will at least have MVD murmurs. The expected lifespan of a CKCS is quite short -- between seven and ten years -- mainly due to the terminal effect of mitral valve disease. Other disorders, such as hip dysplasia, will afflict one out of every three to four cavaliers. Still others, such as syringomyelia, are progressing through the breed so rapidly that statistics have not been able to keep up with the pace."

I have a cavalier king charles as well. She is 2 yrs old and healthy so far..Hoping it stays that way. Good luck!

• 9 years ago

http://www.backcsc.com/heart.html

This site may help you understand HM

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.