Which is more likely to happen in the next 10 years of MMA?

Female Fighters in the UFC or MMA in the Olympics

The IOC isn't as stubborn as Dana White and are fairly open minded, and no offense Ladies although I'd love to see what you can do in the Octagon , I'm really gunning for the latter, but anyway what does everyone else think?

Favorite Answer

Female fighters in the UFC.

Dana White's excuse so far has been that there simply isn't enough talent. That's quickly being proven wrong. Female fights are on cards in Bellator and Strikeforce, and often provide the best action on the card.

Meanwhile, for MMA to get into the Olympics, it will have to beat out several other competing sports, including many less prone to injury. Should it ever be included, the rules would no doubt be changed dramatically. The small gloves, bare shins, and elbow strikes all make for an increased possibility of cuts to form, which would keep a fighter from progressing from one match to the next. Ground-and-pound is a difficult sell to an international audience, and would likely be restricted or banned altogether. The now-common 3X5 minute rounds would probably be shortened greatly. Headgear might even be added. Amateur Shooto is conducted in much this way, and includes a point system for the grappling portion; however, Shooto is not practiced by enough people worldwide for it to be considered.

I think the UFC's expansion will make women's matches an inevitability; likewise, I think the existence of four unarmed combat sports (five, if you count Freestyle and Greco wrestling separately), in addition to the infeasibility of the current common MMA rules and competition from several sports to be included in the Olympics, makes MMA in the Olympics a pipe dream at best, probably for the next 30 years, if not more.

MMA will continue to grow as a sport, the UFC will keep buying off competitors.

Zuffa already purchased strikeforce, which holds female MMA events, so women fighting in the UFC is a matter of time (I'd say about 2 years).

I don't think MMA will ever be in the Olympics, too much politics in there, and if it ever happens the rules will be so watered down it won't even resemble MMA.

Source(s): my brain ;)

I think if MMA in the olympics would require a women's event.