promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 9 years ago

Which company is better? RIDGID, DeWalt, Milwaukee?

They are all good but i want to know which is the best. I love the warrenty on RIDGID, love the new milwaukee red lithium, love the durability and good news about DeWalt. Would get impact driver, light, drill, saw zaw. All 18v lithium ion. Used for plumbing. Need durability, lasting, power, warrenty. THANK YOU ALL HELP IS THANKED!!!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Many power tool companies are now owned by large conglomerates. This has recently (within the last 5 yrs.) happened to Ridgid,Milwaukee & DeWalt.

Milwaukee is owned by a Chinese Company, DeWALT was recently aquired by Stanley Bostitch, and Ridgid Tools now has most of their tools being made in China.

I prefer DeWALT. These 5 yr warranties you read about are for Factory Defects only - they are not full five year warranties that cover everything. Ask a salesperson but few can actually come up with the written warranty. Go ahead ask for one - DeWALT is the only one that will tell you up front what exactly the warranty is.

Home Depot is the only source for the imported Ridgid tool line. This is an agreement they made thinking that the Ridgid name would boost Home Depot's edge over Lowes and other big box stores. Trouble is this new Ridgid line is almost entirely imported from china.

Milwaukee has had big time battery problems. Which left many of the tool owners having to buy new batteries and chargers when they had their big battery problems. Now to get a milwaukee battery replaced under warranty, it must be sent to a factory service center and placed on a device that can tell how many times the battery has been charged and discharged. That means your battery warranty is pro-rated. This entire process can leave you without a battery for a couple weeks.

DeWALT has a 2 year warranty from date of purchase on all XRP batteries. This is an over the counter warranty exchange if the battery tests bad. The new dewalt lithium Ion batteries will work fine in your older drill that came with the Ni-cad batteries. Huh - DeWALT is the only manufacturer that wanted to insure when you upgrade to Lithium Ion - you did not have to trash your older cordless tools.

Anyway - see what answers you get on those 5 year warranties from Milwaukee and Ridgid. And oh yes - check on the nearest warranty service center for those tools. Many service centers will not work on Ridgid because parts are hard to get. I don't blame them. If Home Depot wants to be the only place to buy these imported Ridgid tools - then they need to have a stocked service center with switches,brushes,chucks,cords,armatures,fields in stock in the store.

For my money - I have been more than happy with DeWALT. And with Stanley Bostitch buying DeWalt. It's owned by Americans.

Source(s): General Contractor 30yrs. and counting
    • jfenton556 years agoReport

DeWalt is also made in China. You have to look at each tool closely to see if you are getting a made in USA toll!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Dewalt Warranty

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Which company is better? RIDGID, DeWalt, Milwaukee?

They are all good but i want to know which is the best. I love the warrenty on RIDGID, love the new milwaukee red lithium, love the durability and good news about DeWalt. Would get impact driver, light, drill, saw zaw. All 18v lithium ion. Used for plumbing. Need durability, lasting, power,...

Source(s): company ridgid dewalt milwaukee: https://biturl.im/qNIEz
  • 4 years ago

Milwaukee lost me as a customer when they stopped making the 18 volt batteries and went to the M18 batteries. Now I have Milwaukee tools and chargers, but no batteries for them. I used to like Dewalt, but now they are made in China and the quality is no longer there. I think that my next purchase will be a Ridgid.

Source(s): 35 years licensed electrician
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Al
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I am a Licensed General Contractor, and I have owned or do own all of the above. All three companies are reputable manufacturers, and have been in business for decades. I'll tell you that I opted for RIGID over DeWalt a few years ago, and I never looked back. The beauty of RIGID is the warranty, and for cordless tools: free batteries for life. I had to have my 18v charger fixed last year and took it into Home Depot expecting a hassle. They sent it back to the company for free and within a week I had a new one (also free ) and the apology of the company. Excellent after-market customer service. Also, RIGID's (18v) cordless charger charges two batteries at once in about 30 minutes. They are not toys, theyare heavy duty tools for hard working pros. Like every contractor or mechanic I have my favorites based on my own personal experience, Here they are:

Impact Driver: Dewalt

18v cordless drill & Sawz-All: RIGID

Source(s): 20+ years as a Licensed General Contractor
  • 4 years ago

Whomever said Rigid is made in China, needs to do more research!

Was always a Porter Cable fan, now they're going cheap POS realm.

Recently started using Rigid, I have found them to be the best. Dewalt, overpriced and overhyped.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Home Depot Milwaukee

• 4 years ago

Year 2016, these answers are so very old they no longer are applicable to the new drills. They are all made in China, all have Chuck wobble and are not made as well as any of the old ones made in America.

• Tricia
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

i like rigid. they're from my hometown.

Source(s): life experiences
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.