Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

What do you make of Global Warming making Nuclear Power LESS efficient?

"All existing nuclear plants use vast amounts of water as a coolant. But in recent years — often far from the public eye — hot river and lake temperatures have forced power plants worldwide to decrease generating capacity.

Experts say the problem is only getting worse as climate change triggers prolonged heat waves, prompting calls for changes in siting processes...

Preliminary data from the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS), an environmental and nuclear watchdog group based in Cambridge, Mass., shows that seven nuclear units at five facilities had to reduce generating capacity due to warm waters on at least 15 occasions between May and September 2010. The plants were in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Illinois and Georgia. While such incidents didn't affect plant safety, they posed economic risk and decreased power availability.

In one case, which did not appear in the UCS database, the Tennessee Valley Authority's Browns Ferry station near Athens, Ala., lost over $50 million dollars when it was forced to run at half capacity for eight weeks last summer, passing the price surge to customers."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/04/idUS1639...

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Interesting; I had not heard of that before.

Now brace yourself for a series of rants by self-proclaimed climatologists who claim to know that man's activities aren't affecting the climate*. (For the record, I don't know that they are, but I'm leaning in that direction).

* Or not - it's pretty late.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

The Union of Concerned Scientists is an anti nuclear group of environmental wackos.

Just the fact that they are still spreading the disproven global warming fraud is enough to dismiss them entirely.

According to those idiots most of those towns would be under about 100 feet of water by now from the melting polar ice caps.

• Mike
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

here in MN, we have swans that stay year around next to the power plants. in FL during cold spills, the manatees will stay right next to the water outlets to stay warm.

• takako
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

worldwide warming is a fantasy. end being so smug. The earth has been alive and properly for billions and billions of millennium. Do you rather think of a few autos are going to make a difference the two way? THE EARTH gets heat ALL ON that is very own!!! THE EARTH COOLS DOWN ALL ON that is very own!!! that's a organic cycle and has no longer something to do with us puny human beings. EDIT to function: i'm no longer able to tell you all how releaved i'm that extra human beings comprehend and are spreading the fact approximately this insanity. And... i prefer a picachu too!!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I thought global warming was supposed to make it colder.

I lost my global warming decoder ring.

Isn't that why the global warming enthusiasts claim we still have winters?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.