Can i sue somebody for selling me a car and it broke down less than 24hours after buying it?

i bought a car and the seller told me it was in top shape, i bought it, changed the oil and drove for about 2 hours and the motor just blew.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • roger
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

unfortunately its a as is deal when you buy a used car. Never listen to the owner, always take a car to a mechanic, especially if you do not know much about cars. This question gets asked a lot, I wish there were better news, but the reality, is take it to a mechanic before you buy. That is the only way. I know right now this is not what you want to hear, but here is a website that can help you when going to buy a used car, it will help you learn what to look for, what to look out for, and there is also a section on used car reviews, I recommend doing a cold start test drive on any car, after sitting overnight, start it up and see what it sounds like and runs like when cold, and take it for an extended test drive, at least 40 minutes, had you taken these simple steps and then taken that car to the mechanic, this may not have happened. These kinds of lessons really suck, but at this point if the rest of the car is decent and the tranny is still good, it is possible to find good used engines, talk to your mechanic, sometimes mechanics have connections in a wrecking yard, that can get good reliable engines, so dont despair, never give up, when life hands you lemons, make lemon aid, get it running and drive by the dummies house who sold it, hang in there make lemonaid.

• 9 years ago

Sure you can sue, but winning the lawsuit is another story. Private party car sales are "as is", and you have no recourse against the seller. In such cases, buyer assumes all risk. The seller stating the car was in "top shape" is not a statement of fact, it's called puffery and you should have had the car inspected to validate his claim.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

and the seller told me it was in top shape

---

And what?

Unless that statement is IN WRITING, you have no case in court as this falls under hearsay, which is NON admissible as testimony.

As for implied warrantability, the car drove when you bought it. That's a good car as far as anyone is concerned.

(Had to be TopScourge to it, before he ran off with the usual cut and paste "advice"...)

• Rob R
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

How can the seller predict the future? let me guess, you bought a 15 year old car with 100,000+ miles on it and you want to sue.

Sorry, but it's the chance you take when you buy a used car. It's yours, and yours to fix.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Otto
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

You could, but why waste the time and effort. It was your responsibility as a buyer to have a mechanic go over the car do get a better reading of it's actual condition. Why would you take the word of a stranger.

Source(s): A mechanic for over 45 years
  • 9 years ago

you can, but the judge will ask if a mechanic saw the car before you bought it, to make sure it was a good car.

Source(s): person who loves things that have to deal with law
  • 9 years ago

Used cars are sold *** is.

Do you have any proff he was aware of any problems with the car?

Even if you do you have slim chances of winning in court.

• 9 years ago

Yes, you can.

You would not win. but you didn't ask that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.