Does the confederate flag stand for racism?

Is it like a white supremacist symbol? And is that what Confederates stand for?

Best Answer

To many it is a sign of racism and for good reason. The confederate states intended to retain the practice of slavery and that issue was one driving reason (among others) for the US civil war. And even today that flag is often associated with segregationist and racist causes. However contending that the flag represents white supremacy and that's what Confederates stood for is too broad a statement to be correct. There may be white supremacists who fly the flag but there are others who do it simply because the confederacy is part of their heritage.

I could post a dozen confederate flags used just as much or even more than then the southern cross. And you wouldn't even know it. Only one flag has got the stigma, because of the nutjob KKK.

Most people are ignorant and do associate it with racism, instead of history and resistance. Kinda like everyone downing the snake don't tread on me flag. While our navy flys the navy jack. With the same words and snake. Ignorance. It's america.

• Not at all

To me, yes.

no