Tinnitus in one ear worse after ear-drops?

One of my ears became blocked by earwax so I was recommended Boots dual action ear-drops. It was only after using it for 3 days that someone told me that it shouldn't be used by people who have ringing in their ears, which I do. I thought the ringing in one ear became worse because, being blocked, it was all... show more One of my ears became blocked by earwax so I was recommended Boots dual action ear-drops. It was only after using it for 3 days that someone told me that it shouldn't be used by people who have ringing in their ears, which I do.

I thought the ringing in one ear became worse because, being blocked, it was all I could hear. But having used the ear-drops my ear is now almost clear of wax yet the ringing is still as loud as when it became blocked. The other ear which I did not use the ear-drops on has stayed the same and the ringing is not very noticeable.

I'm worried that because the ear-drops say they shouldn't be used by people with tinnitus ('ringing in the ears') that they are why the ringing is worse. I know tinnitus is not curable but I'm 22 (I know, years of high volume headphones) and the louder ringing in one ear is driving me crazy. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thank you