Dakar, Senegal or Cape Town, South Africa?

Hello all! I want to study abroad to Africa (and eventually live all over the continent throughout my life). I'm trying to decide between Dakar, Senegal and Cape Town, South Africa. If any of you have been to either or both of these cities, please tell me what you think of them! Just so you can kind of get an idea about the experience I'm looking for, I'll list what I like about both places, so hopefully your recommendations can be a bit more applicable to my preferences/personality. :)

What I Like About Dakar:

1. I could study the Atlantic slave trade.

2. I could practice my French before moving to Paris in 2013.

3. I could take painting and sculpture classes.

4. Less Western. (This is a pro and a con.)

5. I could do a homestay with a Senegalese family.

What I Like About Cape Town:

1. I could study apartheid and modern day South African race relations.

2. I could study Xhosa. I love the Nguni languages!

3. I love adventure sports and activities, which CT has in abundance.

4. It's one of the most naturally beautiful cities in the world!

5. I could live with two of my very best friends in the whole world, who are South Africans. :D

They do have a little overlap. They both have great beaches for diving, surfing, and chilling. I could also take African Dance classes at either location, which would be soooo fun and a great insight into the culture. What do you think about the two cities?

Favorite Answer

I think you should go to Cape Town, South Africa in general has had a rich history and although it's more western than Senegal it is a great city.