What are the Jesuits?

I hear this term alot, who are they? I assume they are a group of people right?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Society of Jesus (Latin: Societas Iesu, S.J., SJ, or SI) is a religious order of men called Jesuits, who follow the teachings of the Catholic Church. Jesuit priests and brothers[2] — also sometimes known colloquially as "God's Marines"[3] and as "The Company", this terminology because of founder Ignatius of Loyola's military background — are engaged in evangelization and apostolic ministry in 112 nations on six continents reflecting the Formula of the Institute (principle) of the Society. They are known in the fields of education (schools, colleges, universities, seminaries, theological faculties), intellectual research, and cultural pursuits in addition to missionary work, giving retreats, hospital and parish ministry, promoting social justice and ecumenical dialogue.

The Society was founded by St. Ignatius who, after being wounded in battle, experienced a religious conversion and composed the Spiritual Exercises in order to help others to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ more closely. In 1534, Ignatius gathered six young men, including St. Francis Xavier and Bl. Pierre Favre, and together they professed vows of poverty and chastity, and then later, obedience, including a special vow of obedience to the Pope. Rule 13 of Ignatius' Rules for Thinking with the Church said: "That we may be altogether of the same mind and in conformity[...], if [the Church] shall have defined anything to be black which to our eyes appears to be white, we ought in like manner to pronounce it to be black."[4] Ignatius' plan of the order's organization was approved by Pope Paul III in 1540 by the bull containing the Formula of the Institute. The opening lines of this founding document would declare that the Society of Jesus was founded to "strive especially for the propagation and defense of the faith and progress of souls in Christian life and doctrine."[5] The Society participated in the Counter-Reformation and later in the implementation of the Second Vatican Council in the Catholic Church.

The Society of Jesus is consecrated under the patronage of Madonna Della Strada, a title of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and it is led by a Superior General, currently Adolfo Nicolás.[6][7] The headquarters of the Society, its General Curia, is in Rome.[8] The historic curia of St Ignatius is now part of the Collegio del Gesù attached to the Church of the Gesù, the Jesuit Mother Church.

Source(s): Wikipedia
  • ?
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

They are "The Society of Jesus", founded by Ignatius Loyola in the . . . late 1500's under (if I remember right), Pope Urban the VIII. They had something to do with the education of certain princes who were involved in the 30 years war. This war took place in the early to mid 1600's, and (I'm reading the book "The 30 Years War), had conflicts with the more established "Capuchins" of the time.

Currently, the Jesuits are notorious for being great teachers and many other places in society, they tend to be the best. However, according to many Protestants, they are devious, untrustworthy, and guilty of spreading the evil in the world. I tend to think that they are dedicated and professional, though ultimately a cause for God's wrath in the Great tribulation because they are not interested in God's truth, but for the furtherance of the Roman Catholic Church in some capacity.

To me, Jesuits are of the worst sort of the Roman Catholic order because they stand for a false church and not for the truth of God, the worst of them because they are dangerous to freedom if it suits them to be, they are able to get done what many cannot.

• R. C.
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

They are a group who operate out of the Vatican. The head of which is titled the commander general or black pope. They are basically the C.I.A. of the Vatican, an just like the C.I.A., they make the mafia seem like boy scouts.

• 10 years ago

They are like jelly beans only all one colour.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

at the same time, who are the mormons?

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

its the army of jesus

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.