What are some good Spanish novels/books to read for a somewhat advanced learner?

I've been learning Spanish for about 9 months, now, and I want to begin reading more difficult books in Spanish. Though 9 months isn't a very long time in learning a language on your own, I know all of the tenses like the back of my hand and I can speak pretty well, too. I've definitely put in the time with learning it and I can see the results.

However, whenever I try to pick up a book in Spanish and try to read it, I find myself constantly stumbling over putting the thoughts together. Sometimes, it's because I've picked up a book that's too advanced for me. Sometimes, it's just the opposite; I feel like I'm reading children's books about colors and shapes. I need to find something more difficult than a children's book but probably on a lot lower level than what a person my age would be reading - I am eighteen.

So, my question is the following:

What are some good Spanish novels or writers/authors you could suggest to me for reading?

Gracias de antemano!

P.S. I tend to gravitate towards stories about magic, fantasy, or people with mental disorders, but I'm definitely not interested in reading something that is science-fiction or strongly-based around actual history.

Favorite Answer

Hi there! Well, that's a pretty though one... since I don't read a lot. hahaha I'm from México by the way... Try to read "Don Quijote de la Mancha" by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra or "Cien Años de Soledad" by Gabriel García Márquez. I guess "Don Quijote (Quixote) is more traditional, so I strongly recommend you to read that one...

Greetings from México...

I possess a duplicate of Collins entire and unabridged and it's nice...hardly ever what I might name pocket sized, and comprises without doubt the whole thing you are going to ever want. Check out Amazon for lessen priced copies, I consider I picked mine up for approximately 15 kilos ($22)

If you need to understand Spanish and you want to learn it from the very best then you must pick a course

I don't think t.v. is a waste material of the time, it's that I see no real use of computer nowadays and there is nothing educational or useful on now. Children of today face 'entertainment' that is just plain ridiculous and does not have any morale meaning behind them

• Alan

Just read a publication and watch the SAME e book that has been converted to that movie. You can find details in a written publication that people take for granted observing a movie. We do not have the sense of color or smell that our imagination can create.