Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is it OK to make tea with normal water?

HI,

I was wondering whether it's ok to make tea with normal water (not boiling).

Is it dangerous? Because I heard boiling water kills the bacteria in the raw tea bag.

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Hi - well if you're making a "hot tea", then you need hot water (of course), plus the hot water helps the tea "steep", which basically means, it sits there, drawing out the flavor from the tea bag. The longer it steeps, the more flavorful the tea is.

So that's that, if you're asking if it HAS to be boiling, then Im assuming you're NOT talking about hot tea (or else you'd want it boiling anyhow), so lets say you're craving a tall glass of ICED tea. In this case, its absolutely fine to add plain ole tap water into a large container of water (preferably glass), and toss several tea bags into the water, strings hanging over the top, screw the lid on, set on your porch, in the sun (hence, "sun tea") and wait until the tea is darkened to your liking (darker means stronger).

As far as bacteria in the raw tea bag - Ive never heard of a concern like this. Im a huge tea drinker, hot and iced both, I probably have 5 glasses/cups a day - never once have I given consideration to bacteria. I think you're fine, as is....JMO.

You can indeed cold brew tea, ever heard of sun tea? That is just barely warmed by the sun. You don't need the special bags for it either. However, if you are making a volume of tea, like a gallon or more, you can extract more flavor from each tea bag (in less time) by using hot water.

I am in a bit of a budget crisis and I have learned to really economize. I used to add hot water off the heat to 2-4 teabags (family sized) and let it sit about 15 minutes before I diluted it for a gallon. But I have found I can heat a saucepan of water with ONE teabag in the pan, let it simmer for 5-10 minutes on the heat, then dilute for every bit as much flavor as if I had used more tea bags.

yeah itl be fine dont worry about it if you wanted to you could eat the tea leaves

• no you have to boil it

mane screw tea....make sum dang kool-aid

Source(s): all yu need is sum sugar and sum packets