Could Huckabee or Christie realistically win the GOP nomination?

Neither one of those guys are "ultraconservative" even Huckabee himself said so in an interview on Fox News. He was saying how the GOP climate is so polarized these days that not even Reagan could win the nomination, and I think that's probably why him and Christie haven't gotten in the race yet. If they got in would the "conservatives" put there ideals on the backburner and vote for a more moderate guy like Christie or Huck?

Favorite Answer

It's hard to tell who will get the GOP nomination in 2012, but we'll know soon enough. I know that in the GOP, it's much harder for an outsider to win the presidential nomination than in the Democratic party; they're big on pecking orders.

Additionally, neither candidate has a wide enough base of support to be guaranteed the nomination.

If one of them were to be nominated, most Republicans would turn out to vote for their candidate. Republicans are much better on party discipline and supporting their candidates than the Democrats.

I like both of them. When Huckabee ran, I voted for him in the primaries. Christy has said he's not running. Huckabee will decide this summer. Last night I watched the Republican debate, and I thought Tim Pawlenty was the best candidate, the one most likely able to beat Obama. I liked some of what all of them had to say, but you have to think about who can likely win.

one can only hope...

Source(s): . (because that would mean another Dem LANDSLIDE :-)