Are Radiohead finished?

"I always hated them" type posts aren't particularly useful... this is aimed at people who are/were fans. I'm not here to proclaim the genius of Kid A and Amnesiac. For me, The one-two punch of The Bends and OK Computer marked their creative peak. Kid A and Amnesiac did feature some good music,... show more "I always hated them" type posts aren't particularly useful... this is aimed at people who are/were fans.

I'm not here to proclaim the genius of Kid A and Amnesiac. For me, The one-two punch of The Bends and OK Computer marked their creative peak. Kid A and Amnesiac did feature some good music, but the only great song on each recording, Motion Picture Soundtrack and Pyramid Song, respectively, were 90's leftovers. I'd probably rate both at about a 6/10... not as horrible as some people make out, nor the works of genius others like to paint them as.

Hail to the Thief was, again, a decent recording. To me, it didn't feature any great tracks, but a bundle of good ones. It was an uneasy mix of The Bends era guitars (without the songwriting quality of that period), and Kid A era electronics. That said, it was the most consistent songwriting I'd seen on a Radiohead LP since OK Computer. After a four year wait, came In Rainbows, which was a thoroughly average release. It featured one great song in Nude (a 90's leftover... I couldn't help but notice a pattern), and a bunch of decent tracks like 15 Step, All I Need and Reckoner. Elsewhere... meh. Not impressed.

The recent The King of Limbs, which took another four years, appalled me. Only eight tracks, and not one song among them. To me, it's essentially the confirmation that Radiohead are creatively deceased: the 90's leftovers are gone, and so is Thom's muse. The 90's feel like so long ago. I noticed it was the first Radiohead album in 14 years not to hit #1 in the UK, and the first in 16 years not to reach the top 5. Pretty much indicates that their fanbase is falling away. RIP Radiohead.

How do others feel?
Update: "there are plenty of people who think all of their albums from The Bends to The King of Limbs are brilliant"

But Pablo Honey utterly dwarfs all of Radiohead's post-OK Computer output.