promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What's up with Mario Williams becoming a LB?

I live in Houston and I'm a Texans fan. Why is Mario Williams becoming a LB? He is a best of the edge

Update:

I live in Texas but I like the Falcons too. Thats why I have Matt Ryan up there.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

ESPN just confirmed that Williams will switch to be the Sam OLB in the new 3-4 scheme. I believe its because of his contain ability. He definitely has the smarts to play OLB and his athleticism is unquestioned. In fact I think this a very good decision for the Texans, the OLB positions in a 3-4 are all about containment and blitzing, they are less read oriented like the two MLBs. Williams fits this profile perfectly, his speed and size can be a huge asset in protecting against the off tackle or pitch type runs as well as against passes to the flats, curls and screens, the only questionable aspects is how he will react to man coverage (especially against speedy TEs like V.Davis) and play action when his role is coverage, but that will come in good time, just ask Terrel Suggs who was in the exact same scenario with Baltimore, and he has done just fine I believe

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Bold move but if Mario Williams can do it, I like the thinking.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

No he will be still be a DE in the 3-4. Shouldn't be bad for him, Bruce Smith played in DE in a similar scheme and he was great.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

They drafted two DE's in the draft this year, and the Texans think he can make the transition to LB.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Lol Texans fan??? Why do you have a matt ryan picture?!?!?

• 9 years ago

That's a brave move considering he is probably top 3 DE's in the NFL. If he can become OLB that would be great, because the guys they drafted may turn out as good pass rushers as DE.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

He has a Clay Matthews MOTOR

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.