What's up with Mario Williams becoming a LB?

I live in Houston and I'm a Texans fan. Why is Mario Williams becoming a LB? He is a best of the edge

I live in Texas but I like the Falcons too. Thats why I have Matt Ryan up there.

Favorite Answer

ESPN just confirmed that Williams will switch to be the Sam OLB in the new 3-4 scheme. I believe its because of his contain ability. He definitely has the smarts to play OLB and his athleticism is unquestioned. In fact I think this a very good decision for the Texans, the OLB positions in a 3-4 are all about containment and blitzing, they are less read oriented like the two MLBs. Williams fits this profile perfectly, his speed and size can be a huge asset in protecting against the off tackle or pitch type runs as well as against passes to the flats, curls and screens, the only questionable aspects is how he will react to man coverage (especially against speedy TEs like V.Davis) and play action when his role is coverage, but that will come in good time, just ask Terrel Suggs who was in the exact same scenario with Baltimore, and he has done just fine I believe

Bold move but if Mario Williams can do it, I like the thinking.

No he will be still be a DE in the 3-4. Shouldn't be bad for him, Bruce Smith played in DE in a similar scheme and he was great.

They drafted two DE's in the draft this year, and the Texans think he can make the transition to LB.

Lol Texans fan??? Why do you have a matt ryan picture?!?!?

That's a brave move considering he is probably top 3 DE's in the NFL. If he can become OLB that would be great, because the guys they drafted may turn out as good pass rushers as DE.

He has a Clay Matthews MOTOR