Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 9 years ago

quranists, do you believe in the different recitations of quran?

like when you interpret the words? some words are understood to a deeper meaning by understanding it in all the different recitations. this isnt an attack im just curious because i remember reading on the submitters website that they only believe in riwayah hafs because it fits the number 19 code thing and the others dont.

jonathan alexander, im not talking about hadith, i specifically said the recitations of quran

Rosy Pearl, jazakallah khair for the example

Rosy Pearl, thats a good point, we are certain of these recitations through mutawatir narrations, the quran has been passed down through mutawatir narrations. so would they at least accept those hadiths that are mutawatir too?

architect, so which recitation of the quran do you believe to be the only true 1 then?

and why do you believe that 1 recitation to be the only true 1 and not the others?

@architect, for example which of Rosy Pearls 2 examples is correct? or in surah fatiha some people say "maaliki yawmiddeen" (owner of the day of judgement) and some say "maliki yawmiddeen" (king of the day of judgement) which 1 is correct and why? because both are accepted as different recitations of quran by us non quranists.

@architect, from your reply I am kind of confused, because you first said that you don’t believe in the different recitations but then you say you accept the different recitations with the examples given and confirmed theyre all correct. Sure it doesn’t change the overall meaning, and I didn’t say it did, neither did I say that the different meanings are a big deal.

The point I was bringing up is to see what quranists think about the fact that there are different recitations of the quran, which have been passed through people and taught orally. might get people to question themselves.

With regards to having different sects and divisions that’s a different issue and would belong in a different discussion, and I actually feel theyre just making more sects by separating from the main body of muslims, the jama’ah.

Sure I have interests in the wider horizon, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have concern over other issues either. I asked this q because ive seen quranists on here criticizing

abd, but what is the "clear quran"? because the qurans we have today are written according to their recitations and they are checked by the reciters. so my question is which recitation are you referring to be the only correct one?

try and look at a hafs mushaf and then a warsh mushaf and look at how the word "maaliki" or "maliki" is written in both. 1 has the harf madd and the other just has the fatha.

i forgot to mention that the word maliki i was referring to is the 1 in surah fatiha

Favorite Answer

Every Muslim should believe in every Authentic Recitation Narration.

There are many... But 20 of them are Mutawatir. Therefore there is NO difference of opinion on these 20, and anyone who disbelieves in ONE... has Disbelieved on what was revealed upon Mohammed saw,

As for examples of how 2 narrations could give you a better understanding of the Quran..

When Allah swt said.. "ith Jaa2akum Fasiqun Binaba2in Fatabayanu" OR "Fatathabbatu"

Now Tathabatu has almost the same meaning as Tabayanu.. But with additional criteria..

It means.. Not only do you have to verify source.. You have to stand still. Not act upon anything until you are certain..

====================

@Jonathan - Quraan came in Hadith Narrations. So Quranists are fooling themselves... but they won't fool anyone else.. Nor will they fool Allah swt.

The myth of the variant recitals come from hadith which have helped to dilute the confidence Muslims have in the Quran. It is on equal footing with other 'sciences of the Quran' such as:

1. Makkan and Medinan Verses

2. The reasons for revelation (Asbabun Nuzool)

3. The science of abrogation (for which there isn't any actual figure - just disagreements).

The important thing to note is what Quran itself says about such things - which is absolutely nothing. Rather, what Allah did was to use the concept of 'dhikr'. What does 'dhikr' mean? Linguistically it means something prominent but also constantly recited. The identity of the Quran is described as such:

And We did not teach him poetry, nor is it befitting for him. It is not but a dhikr and a clear Qur'an (quranun mubeen) (36/69)

We must emphasise that 'mubeen' is the quality of being clear, not the quality of clarifying which is 'bayyin' (see 10/15 , ayaatun bayyinat). What is 'quranun mubeen'? To the world at large and to academia , it is what the Traditional Muslims call the Hafs recension. Most of us don't know anything else and the authentication of these things come from hadith.

One can even see two of the many the effects of this acceptance in Rosy Pearl's statements:

1. Every Muslim should believe in every Authentic Recitation Narration.

My answer: What Rosy didn't tell you is that there is ABSOLUTELY NO AGREEMENT about the '7 dialects hadith'. No one even knows what it means. Have a read of Abu Ammar Yasir Qadhi's 'Introduction to the Sciences of the Quran'

2. As for examples of how 2 narrations could give you a better understanding of the Quran..

My answer: The careless with the Quran's language is astounding! Did God, the author of the Quran, not know Arabic well enough? This is simply an attempt to play with the Quran's language to gain authority in reading.

Remember these facts:

a. The Quran mentions that its in the clear arabic language (16/103). No dialects were mentioned at all.

b. The Arabic of the Quran makes it language distinct/fussilat (41/44). So God knew exactly what word goes where, even if Muslims think they know better.

Stick to the clear quran, its is easily found in the world.

No we don't believe in different recitations of Al-Qur'an since the story behind these different recitations is deprived from another Hadith that goes like [in my own words] "The prophet somehow started talking about how the angel Gabrielle was revising Al-Qur'an for the last time and he hugged the prophet 7 -or so- times every time he taught him a different recitation of Al-Qur'an and they're all VALID - happily ever after can't get any better, huh?".

All we know is that Al-Qur'an's message is a billion times more important than minor [or major] linguistic differences between different recitations of HISTORY.

Oh and I WAS a Quranist, not anymore but I am not a Sunni/Shia/Wahabi/Mohammadi/Salafi or any other sects Muslims will come up with the next few crazy years either.

I am Muslim and enough.

edit:

Time you stopped looking on minor details and looking at a Larger wider horizon that may have the effect of healing our religion from traditional stupidity. As for your example I'd like to answer with a question, "What is the big deal?" I mean, God is the Owner King and All of the judgement day, why does such a trivial difference matter? The variable meaning does NOT affect our creed in anyway possible.

On the other hand, other minor differences can wildly change the meaning. As an example I give ...

[2:125] is read in two different recitations as [Fa atakhazo] which means [they already took] while others recite it as [Fa etakhezo] which means [Take] as an order. So which one is the real?

Actually I brought up this major difference to nullify it. You see, whether it was [They took] or [Take] doesn't matter since the entire Qur'an was given as an example and we should follow the best out of it. Meaning, if it was [They took] then we will follow the best example and take too and if it was [Take] then we obey and also take.

It is quite absurd to think minorities over and over and over and over again when a bigger divisions among our religion exist. Example, Shia and Sunni - now that is scary enough.

google post both ;what is in the western quran and what the real quran says. for proof google sura 9:61 33:50 and 45:17 to just name a few. also ask youirself if these are translation problems or corruption problems! they are hundreds like these.

Source(s): edit; why would a muslim put a thumbs down to something before they looked it up? is it fear of the truth?