J

Jews/Christians: Did Jesus, Matthew, Mark, John, Peter, Paul etc . . .?

Did these Jewish men change their religion from Judaism to something else?

Why or why not do you think this?

Again, please Identify if you're a Jew or Christian so I can parse the responses.

Best Answer

Of the men you've listed above, only Jesus and Peter were known to be born Jews. Matthew, Mark, and John were second-century Gentiles whose knowledge of Judaism was at best second-hand. Paul is a bit of an enigma. He could not have been whom he claimed to be as he claimed to have been a Pharisee who was working for the chief of the Sadducees, a bit of an oxymoron, similar to a claim that Liddy was a known communist working for Nixon. So, he might have been Jewish and might not have been a Jew-by-birth but merely someone who studied Judaism and presented himself to be something he was not which could then explain why he has to defend himself against charges of being a liar. From your Gospels, it appears that Jesus practiced Judaism throughout his life and that his brother James lived and died as an Orthodox Pharassee. That leaves Peter as being the only Jewish man who might have changed his religion.

• Jesus and the disciples were Jewish. They just weren't Pharisees and Saducees which were common Jewish groups during that time.

I am a born again believer in Jesus

The men you mentioned left religion (the false way) and followed Christ (the way John 14:6)

Religion wants you to do something (sacraments,good works etc...) to merit Gods love and deserve salvation.

We will never deserve it, we will never merit it. It was freely given out of LOVE.

Jesus died for our sins, we need to turn from religion to him to be saved. We cannot work our way, we will never earn heaven. We can receive it freely as a gift.

• yesmar

Yes, they all forsook religion, particularly the Law, except for Luke, who was already a gentile. They didn't change it for another religion. Jesus started a revolution, not another religion. That came along about the fourth century.

Source(s): Irreligious Christian
  • C Y

They never change Judaism. It just evolved.

Reply from a Christian.

I guess I am a christian thats what people say because I believe that JC is the son of Gd

Christianity started after Jesus was dead so bit hard for him to change his religion.

Anyway the whole thing is just a fraud.

Christian.

Yes.

...because they witnessed the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

"Behold, I make all things new!" --Jesus