Can I have Tri-Citizenship?

I was born in France with an Italian father and an American mother. I have american citizenship and was wondering if I could apply for French and Italian citizenship? Also I'm unsure but is it permitted to have tri-citizenship while in America? I've asked people andf they it's illegal but I'm unsure.

Favorite Answer

Citizenship is always between you and the country that grants it to you. As long as France and/or Italy is willing to give you citizenship, America can't interfere with that. It's not like if you get citizenship in France, the American government is simply going to say, "oh, well in that case, take a hike." Now, Italy or France MIGHT deny you because you're already an American citizen (though I seriously doubt it), but your American citizenship will not change.

So basically the answer is it's not illegal in the US, but I can't say whether you will be granted citizenship by the other countries.

Source(s): American citizen
  • ?

It depends what year you were born in France, what is your age.

France no longer gives citizenship on birth alone in France,It has been abolished. You must have one parent holding french citizenship.

But now you are obviously out of France so you will not qualify.

On the italian citizenship you could get it trough your father, read link below:

http://www.italiandualcitizenship.com/id5.htm

The 2 countries involved have no laws against holding more than 1 citizenship at one time.

yes you can