Do You Agree w/ Jim Caviezel - That Playing Jesus Ruined his Acting Career?

Movie star Jim Caviezel has accused Hollywood of turning its back on him for playing Jesus Christ.

The actor played Jesus in religious epic The Passion of the Christ in 2004, and reveals director Mel Gibson warned him the iconic role would wreck his acting career.

Appearing at the First Baptist Church of Orlando in Florida on Saturday night to promote an audio production of The Bible that he produced, Caviezel revealed:

"Mel Gibson said, 'You'll never work in this town again.' I told him, 'We all have to embrace our crosses...' I told him, 'Mel, this is what I believe.

We all have a cross to carry. I have to carry my own cross. If we don't carry our crosses, we are going to be crushed under the weight of it. So let's go and do it.' And we began with the film."

Caviezel admits good roles have been hard to come by ever since he starred in the movie and said he was "rejected in my own industry" after taking the role.

He went on to tell the audience, "Jesus is as controversial now as he has ever been. Not much has changed in 2,000 years."

While The Passion of the Christ was a box-office smash Jim Caviezel blamed all of the backlash against the film (Mel Gibson's anti-semitic rants) for why his career came to a sudden halt.

Before taking the role of Jesus Christ he starred in The Count of Monte Cristo, Angel Eyes and Frequency; and he was considered to be a highly sought out star of the time.

-from IMDB News

Favorite Answer

I'm going to answer this from the POV of someone who is in the acting profession, nothing to do with religion. Mention ONE actor whose career has survived playing J.C. EXACTLY. I still think he could 'recover' from it, though, he's THAT great of an actor. He deserved at least an Oscar nomination for that role, if not for the caliber of his performance, then for the fact that he quite literally got his rear whipped playing that role AND was struck by lightning (jk, jk, but hey, it's a known fact that Hollywood gives Oscars for things like that all the time, we know that. Elizabeth Taylor won her first because she almost died of pneumonia! And that's just ONE example!) But he obviously didn't stand a chance of being nominated. Hollywood is all about politics, and he affiliated himself with Mel Gibson, who is very right in a very left town and, though brilliant, is something of a bigot. I think Jim could continue to have a wonderful career if he chooses the right roles. However, he seems to think the backlash comes exclusively from Hollywood's politics. Not really. The other end of the stick is the public. Some, if not many, people will find it awkward to see him playing a criminal, for ex., or even someone's husband. And then there is also the fact that his own beliefs and values may be keeping him from being offered more roles and being a more visible actor. Actors who refuse to do nudity or scenes containing any kissing, sexuality, nudity, etc. find and are offered less suitable roles than those who are willing to just take it all off. That's just a fact of Hoellyweird. But I personally think it's weirder to feel so awkard about kissing someone onscreen yet have no problem with being beaten savagely onscreen until you're barely recognizable. I respect his beliefs though.

Source(s): my own conclusions
  • ?

The Passion of The Christ was an epic and excellent film. I loved it, having lived long enough to compare all of the others about the trials of Christ, this one in my opinion came closest to the bibilical account. The Actor was outstanding. I was surprised to see that Mel Gibson made all of the remarks he did, I do think he is about 3 yolks shy of a dozen.

I also saw the Count of Monte Cristo, loved it! The guy is a talented actor, too bad with all of the demonic imagery and worship in Hollywood now in the forefront the guys career has suffered, I think if he sticks around long enough, He will get another great role. It is that way for many actors once they do a movie that is a smash hit, it is a long while, sometimes for years before they get another role of impact. I think He should just wait on the Lord and be of good courage.

I enjoyed your post, it was informative. thanks for sharing.

Can you say "Cop Out" sure you can. Sounds like he has given up and now blames Jesus. Talent is talent and is always sought. Perhaps if he prayed. What kind of roles is he looking for now. Maybe God wants him in other biblical roles. There probably is a door wide open. He just won't walk through it.

• Mike S

Mere coinceidence...look at Charleston Heston's career...it got off in a hurry when he played the part of Moses.....but I agree with his comment Jesus is as controversial now as he has ever been...just remember the high priests and even the pharaciees rejected him as the Son of God....If he were born in our time...he would be considered insane by most people in society....but Jesus knew this...for many shall come in his name claiming it is I...but they are not.....

Sounds like whining to me. Actors like Max von Sydow and Willem Dafoe played Jesus and continued to work steadily afterward.

waaa!

f*cking banks ruined my career, where is my article?