What can be damaged by hooking jumper cables up the wrong way?

My car battery was dead so we asked someone for a jump and when we tried starting the car, the negative jumper cable on my car started smoking. We brought the car into the shop and he said someone must have hooked the jumpers up wrong and that i needed a new battery. When I went to get my car, with the new battery, the car would start and run just fine; but the vent was blowing full blast and the radio/ac panel wasn't lit up and none of the buttons would work, and I also found that the odometer and speedometer weren't working. Are these all controlled by the same computer? I was wondering if it sounds like damaged wiring, fuses, a computer, or something else. Could anything else be damaged in my car that's not immediately apparent?

Best Answer

Check all fuses first to see if any are blown, there is a fuse box under the hood and one inside the car in most vehicles.

Yes hooking up jumper cables wrong can do lots of harm to the entire electrical system. Sometimes it only takes out individual components, sometimes it can fry the ECU, and it can take out the alternator too.

If it is not fuse related things are going to get expensive quick!

• Carrie

I doubt you did any real damage to your car. The melted battery posts and jumper cables are prolly pretty much it. But there's only one way to find out...put in a new battery and see if anything changed. Good luck!

• Pete M

This can cause you some major headaches, can be dangerous and expensive and you really don't want to do it.

Problems can range from smoking battery cables, ruined battery, ruined alternator, ruined computer, etc.

Potentially some serious money.

See link below for more info.

Hooking jumper cables up wrong can damage a lot of things . altonator . fuse panel , computer module , body ground modules , fuel injectors , and can cost over $1000.00 to fix

Source(s): I worked in mechanics for 4 years and seen this happen
  • the alternator and the cpu are the two big ones.

yes it could

Source(s): p