What U.S. Government agency is over the insurance company?

I've searched the Federal Government to find someone whom is over the insurance company? Some states have Insurance Commissioners but whom or what does the Federal have? Reason: One insurance company claimed that I signed an agreement and threatened legal action and I surrendered my Social Security lump sum of over $29,100.00. My home was in foreclosure and today, I pay the new owners to live in my home. After 5 years of requesting a copy of the alledgedly signed by me agreement, they acknoweledged to my state's insurance commissioner that they do not have a signed agreement but it is their right? What Local, State, and/or Federal Law says it's their right by what Federal Agency of the United States Government?

3 Answers

  • wizjp
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Mostly state; but there is a new department in HHS that has some consumer oversite.


    Might look there

  • 9 years ago

    Something about this isn't right. Go see an attorney near you. Insurance companies are somewhat regulated, but no agency is "over" them.

  • WRG
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    There isn't one. Insurance (at least for now) is governed at the state level.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.