Ryan
Ryan asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 1 decade ago

Evidence of Ancient Aliens? Your thoughts of Erich Von Daniken?

• icabod
    Favorite Answer

Bogus.

Consider on aspect of Von Danikan's 'proof"

"Where is the proof for von Däniken's claims? Some of it was fraudulent. For example, he produced photographs of pottery that he claimed had been found in an archaeological dig. The pottery depicts flying saucers and was said to have been dated from Biblical times. However, investigators from Nova (the fine public-television science program) found the potter who had made the allegedly ancient pots. They confronted von Däniken with evidence of his fraud. His reply was that his deception was justified because some people would only believe if they saw proof ("The Case of the Ancient Astronauts," first aired 3/8/78, done in conjunction with BBC's Horizon and Peter Spry-Leverton)! "

and

" He also frequently reverts to false dilemma reasoning of the following type: "Either this data is to be explained by assuming these primitive idiots did this themselves or we must accept the more plausible notion that they got help from extremely advanced peoples who must have come from other planets where such technologies as anti-gravity devices had been invented."

To accept the 'ancient astronauts came and taught humans.." dribble, it must be prefaced with "As humans were so dumb they couldn't pile rocks..." According to him, everything about civilization was given to us.We invent nothing.

So where is the alien beer can? Despite Von Daniken claims, no "alien technology" has been brought forward that doesn't have a terrestrial origin. The supposed "piloted spaceship" is Mayan ruler Pacal shown in traditional Mayan cultural items.Even his ancient astronaut concept was taken from H. P. Lovecraft's fiction.

Finally is the entire concept of alien visitors. First they would have to have had identical evolution to match humans. Remember they supposedly bred with humans. Given our evolutionary history (check out the Toba super volcano) that's not happening. Second they had to have arrived at just the right point. Humans are here and to dumb to pour sand from a boot and are trainable, etc, etc. The odd greatly favor visitors arriving and finding only green slime.

Why couldn't people have done the things we did? Why does it have to be friggin' aliens all the time?

Von Daniken only gets respect because he asked a lot of good questions, and that is his position today. Otherwise he'd be an alien crank too.

The secret of Von Daniken's success (and yes, I HAVE read his books) is that he puts only one interpretation on evidence that has many interpretations.. i.e he manipulates the evidence to fit his theory, rather than fitting his theory to the evidence. Thus he has proved precisely nothing.

I don't think that any self-respecting scientist could take his flawed ideas seriously.

But I'll give him one thing. He has made a vast amount of dosh from his books. So perhaps he's not quite the idiot I took him for!

From what I've read suggested by others, I believe the ETs we see in flying saucers are highly intelligent robots, cyborgs, etc. technological beings that can withstand severe g-forces, radiation,

can repair themselves. Being technological, such ETs would be immortal , so I suspect the discs and aliens ancient civilizations witnessed are the very same ones we see today.

The original robots would have been created on a distant planet to explore space, then that technology

evolved to become self sufficient,. operational long after the civilization that first created them died off.

Are you comparing the complexity of human DNA to a pyramid? And comparing the difference of complex organisms forming by mere chance to either human or alien ability. You arguments are weak at best or at worst give credence to your opposition.

yes! They alot of aliens but everyone of feel safe my hiding their abilities like me.i alot of power but am not good using them.so belive me there are aliens around!