Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 9 years ago

What books can you recomend on Creation V Evolution?

I'm doing some research on creation and evolution and I'm looking for some books from both sides of the debate so that I can approach it from a neutral perspective. I'm planning on going to my local library in a few days to look for different books, I've been looking on the internet for ideas regarding authors and books to look for. I'm not sure how likely it is that my library will have what I want but it's quite big so I think that it will have at least some of them. This is my list so far,

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution by Richard Dawkins

Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne

The Blind Watch Maker by Richard Dawkins

The Case for a Creater by Lee Strobel

Darwin's Black Box by Micheal J Behe

In Six Days: Why Fifty Scientists Choose to Believe in Creation by John F Ashton

Explore Evolution: The Arguments For and Against Neo-Darwinism by Steven C Meyer, John Minnich and others.

The Creationists by Ronald Numbers

I'm not very good at Science so I'm looking for things that are easy to understand, that are very informative but not too much hard work. Which of these would you recommend? Do you think I'll find then in my library? Can you suggest any other books to me? Are there any bad authors or books that I should avoid? If you could give me any other advice on this project please do. Thanks!

Best Answer

If you are really interested in the history and an in-depth analysis I recommend:

"Evolution vs. creationism: an introduction" By Eugenie Carol Scott...

Oh, by the way, here is the decision of Judge John E. Jones III in the Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District case

H. Conclusion

The proper application of both the endorsement and Lemon tests to the facts of this case makes it abundantly clear that the Board's ID Policy violates the Establishment Clause. In making this determination, we have addressed the seminal question of whether ID is science. We have concluded that it is not, and moreover that ID cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents.

Both Defendants and many of the leading proponents of ID make a bedrock assumption which is utterly false. Their presupposition is that evolutionary theory is antithetical to a belief in the existence of a supreme being and to religion in general. Repeatedly in this trial, Plaintiffs' scientific experts testified that the theory of evolution represents good science, is overwhelmingly accepted by the scientific community, and that it in no way conflicts with, nor does it deny, the existence of a divine creator.

To be sure, Darwin's theory of evolution is imperfect. However, the fact that a scientific theory cannot yet render an explanation on every point should not be used as a pretext to thrust an untestable alternative hypothesis grounded in religion into the science classroom or to misrepresent well-established scientific propositions.

The citizens of the Dover area were poorly served by the members of the Board who voted for the ID Policy. It is ironic that several of these individuals, who so staunchly and proudly touted their religious convictions in public, would time and again lie to cover their tracks and disguise the real purpose behind the ID Policy.

With that said, we do not question that many of the leading advocates of ID have bona fide and deeply held beliefs which drive their scholarly endeavors. Nor do we controvert that ID should continue to be studied, debated, and discussed. As stated, our conclusion today is that it is unconstitutional to teach ID as an alternative to evolution in a public school science classroom.

Those who disagree with our holding will likely mark it as the product of an activist judge. If so, they will have erred as this is manifestly not an activist Court. Rather, this case came to us as the result of the activism of an ill-informed faction on a school board, aided by a national public interest law firm eager to find a constitutional test case on ID, who in combination drove the Board to adopt an imprudent and ultimately unconstitutional policy. The breathtaking inanity of the Board's decision is evident when consid ered against the factual backdrop which has now been fully revealed through this trial. The students, parents, and teachers of the Dover Area School District deserved better than to be dragged into this legal maelstrom, with its resulting utter waste of monetary and personal resources.

To preserve the separation of church and state mandated by the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, and Art. I, § 3 of the Pennsylvania Constitution, we will enter an order permanently enjoining Defendants from maintaining the ID Policy in any school within the Dover Area School District, from requiring teachers to denigrate or disparage the scientific theory of evolution, and from requiring teachers to refer to a religious, alternative theory known as ID. We will also issue a declaratory judgment that Plaintiffs' rights under the Constitutions of the United States and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania have been violated by Defendants' actions. Defendants' actions in violation of Plaintiffs' civil rights as guaranteed to them by the Constitution of the United States and 42 U.S.C. § 1983 subject Defendants to liability with respect to injunctive and declaratory relief, but also for nominal damages and the reasonable value of Plaintiffs' attorneys' services and costs incurred in vindicating Plaintiffs' constitutional rights.

John E. Jones III

United States District Judge

Check out http://creation.com/

Many superb creation books here.

If you're going to read Dawkin's greatest show, then counter balance with Sarfati's greatest hoax, a thorough refutation of Dawkins. Chapter 1 is available online. http://creation.com/the-greatest-hoax-on-earth/mai...

Also try 'refuting evolution' a demolitio of the common evolutionary arguments. All of it available online. http://creation.com/refuting-evolution-2-index

And probably the best selling creation book of all is the Answers book. Also available online.

http://creation.com/the-creation-answers-book-inde...

Answers the most popular questions on the creation/evolution debate

btw, Strobel is good, but believes in an old earth (so not orthodox Bibical)

Behe is in the Intelligent Design movement, who distance themselves from teh Bible completely. So not really strictly creationist at all. In fact ID people are generally anti-creationists. (anti YEC certainly)

Most books and websites are biased. Unfortunately the evolutionist ones are bigoted as well as biased. That is they deny otheres the right to a different opinion.

http://creation.com/ is one of the biggest creation organisations in the world. Outstanding website and resources. They are of course biased, but they freely admit their bias, and the reason for their bias. But they are much more open scientifically. Creationists are the only ones who are happy for all positions to be taught and discussed. Note that it is only evolutionists that want to close down discussion and force everyone to be taught their view of things. Be suspicious of those who don't want to discuss all the evidence, and don't want you to think carefully about all arguments both for and against.