Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Why do Atheists hate religion?

Most of the atheists that I have heard or seen think that people that believe in any religion (Christianity for the most part) are idiots, bad people, or crazy. Now I'm sure there are atheists that don't think this way but I haven't seen or heard from one that doesn't. I am a Christian but have no problem with people who are gay,atheist, or from a different religion. From what I've experienced atheists think that religion is a social issue and believe that religion is the cause of war,violence, and such. When most religions are against such things. I just want to know why atheists have to think this way and why cant all people just live to respect each other and why atheists believe that the sooner religion is gone the better.

• Nous
    Best Answer

How silly!

nothing to do with god, Jesus, religion or christianity and all to do with the attitudes of the followers!

ALL the other religions and atheists live in peace and are ONLY attacked by BAD christians and therefore all GOOD christians see their self defense as legitimate!

Up until about 40 years back Christianity was thriving and there was no conflict with others but in just those few short years the modern christians have become intolerant, hate filled, bigoted and persecuting resulting in a growing backlash against christianity and causing christianity to loose over ten percent in less than a decade with the loss accelerating!

The self destruction of Christianity is underway and the only thing that can stop it is to abandon the terrible human emotions, seek to rediscover the idea of a loving god and act like it!

Keep on posting to help the backlash against christianity grow or seek to discover the loving god and work to reduce it!

Although I am an atheist, I certainly do not think that all believers are "idiots, bad people, or crazy". I certainly do not hate you, or your religion, or your God. In fact it is my sincere wish that everyone regardless of their beliefs or lack of them would treat each other with courtesy and respect, and I will continue to work towards that ideal.

In my personal view if you derive some benefit from believing in any God, whether it is joy or peace or security or fulfillment or deeper meaning in your life then I am genuinely happy for you. I simply have never encountered any compelling evidence which convinces me to accept the assertions of any religion that their God actually exists so I simply do not believe as you do.

Atheists don't hate religion. They just don't believe in it. They don't believe in the existence of God or any supreme being.

Religion has been blamed for war, violence, and such because some people take matters into their own hands like, stoning the adulterer to death, killing infidels, chopping off the hand that steals etc (don't know why they don't chop off the penis that rapes though)

Some religious leaders get drunk with power and incite their followers to do extreme things to test the strength of their power and to feed their egos.

The ability to control peoples' minds and have them submit to you is intoxicating and addictive. This is true of all leaders, not just religious leaders.

If everybody follows the rule that God and only God has the power to punish, there wouldn't be war, violence, and such.

if everybody practises forgiveness and tolerance, as taught by all religion there wouldn't be war, violence, and such.

if everybody is mindful of the seven deadly sins, there wouldn't be war, violence, and such.

If the two super powers of religion (Islam an Christianity) could coexist harmoniously, there wouldn't be war, violence, and such. After all, both originated from the same source until they branched out by following the leader of their choice.

People who believe in God believe in the devil and devils are aplenty and exist in many forms, but it is God's duty, God's right to eardicate devils,sins and such like. People should not play God; by doing so they are guilty of insurbodination. It is like trying to usurp God. It is questioning His authority. Those who decide to punish should themselves be punished for playing God.

Some people abuse religion.

I could go on and on, but I hope my answer helps you some.

To quote you:

<<Now I'm sure there are atheists that don't think this way but I haven't seen or heard from one that doesn't.>>

Perhaps you should get out more, then.

While religions claim to profess peace, the fact remain that religion is the basis of most terrorist and war activities.

The main problem with religion is that

- it often tries to impose itself on others

- it often denies science (young earth creationist)

- it often states that the only just people are of their specific faith, and that everyone else will be cast to hell

You are new on this forum. Spend some time, and you will understand a thing or two.

"Most of the atheists that I have heard or seen think that people that believe in any religion (Christianity for the most part) are idiots, bad people, or crazy"

Correct but that doesn't mean I hate you or your religion.

What would I point and laugh at if I had neither?

"When most religions are against such things."

Except for teh xian-mozlim alliance.

"why cant all people just live to respect each other"

LuLz... we are reacting to what YOU people put out there.

Kid, if you and your people didn't go to such extraordinary lengths to try to convince me and my people that all that imaginary little space chappie stuff wasn't any more than primitive superstition, you and your people would probably never hear from me and my people... just saying.

~

All religions say they are for peace and loving your neighbor. None of them abide by that. Christians are killing people in Africa as we speak because those people don't think like those specific christians. If you kept your religion in the home where it is supposed to be then fine, but you shove it down our throats force it into our schools and into our children. That makes religion one of the most evil social concepts there is. If you get into the fundamentalists want homosexuality to be made a crime with the death penalty. Very christian of them. And I don't suppose you have seen any of the people from the Westboro baptist church lately.

• danman

I am agnostic and have no hatered toward any individuals. I do hate religious leaders who have brainwashed and misled for thousands of years.

Ever notice how the human brain learns? We can go to school for 12 or so years and retain the majority of what we learn. Facts are assimilated very easily by the brain.

On the contrary look at religion. What does religion rely on to teach? Constant reinforcement by repetitive attendance at church or meetings. Constant reading over and over again the bible, which no one can interpret with any sense of absolute. Faith must be fed constantly.

Facts stand alone. No need to keep rehashing and reinforcing. What religious believers do not realize is that they facilitate their own brainwashing. By turning over their lives to the respective religious leaders, who know all to well, that they must continue the indoctrination or lose their sheep to the wolves of fact and reason.

• "I am a Christian but have no problem with people who are gay,atheist, or from a different religion."

How much does it bother you that your God is planning to burn us all in hell for an eternity? Does it make you kinda sorta question his judgement? If you don't have a problem with us you couldn't believe we're deserving of eternal torture.

Anyway, don't feel bad. It's not just religion. I hate all indoctrination. Religious, political, etc. When people stop thinking for themselves and start mindlessly following doctrine, I'm more than happy to call them morons.

Religions are to blame for creating atheists .Since religions , created by men proclaim falsely to have been made by god .The fact that they were created by men who had no idea /knowledge of the nature of the world they lived and attributed their own ignorance to God, thus making God a laughing stock.The religions that divide people and spread violence seem to have been made by sinners..they contain no real knowledge of the nature of the world and the qualities of nature and contain all illogical , unscientific and self contradictory.they have created atheists among the most intelligent people .

• Rick

I think most atheists , like myself, are very tolerant of Christians an other religions. However, like the genisis of religion, it IS true that most wars and violence are the result of people arguing over who's imaginary god is better. Atheists don't hate religious PEOPLE, we just hat the effect has on our humanity.