Who originally said this quote before Martin Luther King Jr.?

Can anyone tell me who originally said this quote or who the author of this quote is? It is NOT Martin Luther King Jr. He merely quoted someone else. "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding... show more Can anyone tell me who originally said this quote or who the author of this quote is? It is NOT Martin Luther King Jr. He merely quoted someone else. "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that ." Thanks. Please don't bother if you are just going to make a fool of yourself by saying something stupid or smart-elick. Thx.