Do children inherit the fear of their parents?

Mooji recently said this in a satsang I watched on youtube. I cannot find it. It has stuck with me though.

What do you think of the idea of family karma? Instead of diseases being genetically linked like how we view them today in the medical community, do you think its possible it's more like blocked fear energy being passed on or nurtured in at a young age? Yet, some children do transcend the fear/pain/judgment/vanity/pride/etc (all sides to fear)....like sometimes having very fearful parents even catapults us into greater states of awareness.

How do you feel...?

Update:

I'm gonna look for that video because it is absolutely stunning

Update 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIi4ijet_FE

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=feedu

ha! found it in a link I sent via email awhile back :)) I think this is it at least.

Update 3:

Think outside the Box,

I think that might be my point.... lol? Who knows...I am not too sure what I mean....it could be physically inherited or it could be mentally inherited.

Update 4:

For me to know,

Fear may have many manifestations, but isn't it the same root or something?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"The sins of the father are carried unto the son, even unto the 7th generation".

This is because ego teaches ego!

What ever error we perceive or lack we project we teach our children & they teach their children until one is born into the family who finally breaks that cycle.

They are able to break that cycle because they carry with them lessons from previous experiences & are able to refrain from the "family programming".

My Mother was an abuser who was abused as was her mother & so forth.

My mother abused because it was what she learned to do from the example her mother & grandmother set.

But I did not abuse my children.

With my family programming the cycle stopped with me & my children.

Children do not inherit their parents fear, but they are taught what to fear everyday by the example of their parents.

Everything we do in every way every day Teaches everyone around us & is a testimony to what we truly believe beyond all intellectual rhetoric.

Many Blessings!

• Yes, absolutely! We carry our ancestor's DNA or genetic coding! Along with that come fears, diseases, intelligence, etc... I also believe we learn the behavior as well and actually polish it so well it shimmers.

It is up to us at this point to release ourselves of this inherited fear. Fear keeps us from living in the present.

Saturday, I was babysitting 3 children. Ages 4, 3 and 1. The baby would flinch when the oldest child startled her and when the 3 year old cried. She even flinched when the dogs would bark. This took me back to my own childhood because I was the youngest with 2 older brothers. Fear may become greater in the order of the siblings or it just maybe expressed in a different way for each child. This possibly adds another dynamic to this question.

I do believe fear was so prevalent in my life that it led me to my initial awakening. The fear caused so much suffering that I reached a point of no return. I have to say that projected fear, inherited fear and stressful fear can catapult one into awareness really quickly as well as trauma.

Peace my lovely friend.

Mudslinger..

(((Kasey)))

Source(s): Reactive father!
  • flip
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

They say (whoever they are) - a child's personality is developed before the age of 8. Children learn what they experience from the environment they grow up in. A brain is not fully developed until the age of 25. Reasoning and judgment kicks in at some point but prior to that if what is experienced is fear and anxiety - that is what behaviour becomes. So yes fear is inherited but through environment not genetics. (Genetics can be a factor also)

• 4 years ago

Possibly. A child may have fears of things because the child looks up to the parent, and imitates him/her. For example, a parent is afraid of rhinoceros so the child may think, oh rhinos are scary because mommy is scared of them. No, it's not genetic. Fears aren't something you can inherit, it's more like, the child chooses to be afraid of them. If it was genetic, the child could still overcome the fear. Just like a child can be blond because their parent is blond, but the child could dye the hair to make it black, just like you can overcome a fear.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

A feeble ear is fear, the being inside first to enact towards the physical, lack of knowledge or verification, intimidation to a child is building fear within the child creating timidness, it can and is transferred from parents to children, not by genetics, but rather by spirit of fear, programmed in by acts. A product of environment. Now couple this with dreams and visions which come by environment AND spirit, it becomes complicated to fathom, now could generational curses come into play, passed on.

• 9 years ago

Yes, they do to a certain extent. We are born to a certain set of parents because of the mind we have shaped in a certain way in our past life. Hence we are get a perfect set of parents whose minds have shaped in similar way.

So if the parents fear something or someone, the child also takes on the same fear from the mind of his/her parents.

God is a perfect match maker. But these shackles can be broken if the child grows up in the environment where his/her social, school friends, teachers, etc change his perception of the world, the perception of truth. Because fear does not exist in real. Fear is the conception of the mind. Fear comes from the forgetfulness of Divine (God) seated within us and in the hearts of all beings, living and non-living. Fear comes from lack of faith that everything is happening perfectly as should be.

It is said, "What you resist, persists. What you look at, disappears."

Source(s): Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsch
  • 9 years ago

Absolutely, they're generational curses. You can see it perpetuate with mental illnesses such as Bipolar, it often shows up in children as ADHD or ADD. Babies with colic have inherited the spirit of fear of abandonment. I wondered about this then did some researching on my own and in every case the mother or father had a parent who either threatened to leave or did walk out on the family.

• 9 years ago

I'm not stupid, but i find this question hard to understand. If you are implying that we have similar fears to our family, like developing a fear of spiders because our parents have a fear of them, i don't believe it. I have a fear of eels and caterpillars due to my own experiences, it was not inflicted my parents.

• 9 years ago

I think, it is quite right that parents induce their fears in their offspring,

though I believe, an awakened self can transcend any inherited or acquired emotion.

• phrog
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

some believe similar things - bruce lee talked about defeating his "demons" so that they did not come for his children.

I think the idea is that if we don't beat them - they pass on and become stronger. health problems associated with would also then become passed on and stronger I would think.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.