Has fan fiction stories ever been published?

I've been seeing a lot of questions involving fan fictions recently. I'm personally not a fan as to me they don't seem real stories. Just another writers take on what happens after a huge story.

Are they stories that are published? If so can you name a few?

• Tat
    Best Answer

Sure. More than a few fan fictions have been published. They changed the names, theme etc to a degree to make it a more original fiction, of course. Not that the versions they posted on the internet isn't original. A lot of fan fictions posted on the internet actually only have the same characters names as the original fiction, other than that - be it the characters personalities/theme/plot etc are all original, totally different from the original fiction, so I'm not surprised they have easily been published as an original fiction. Heck, I myself am a fan of Twilight and I admit I have read Twilight fan fictions that I feel are better than the original Twilight books.

A few examples of stories that have been published:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=223491289862...

List of some of the famous fics that have been deleted (some were deleted because they are in the process of getting published):

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=14783&post...

and my most fav ff ever, Master of The Universe by Snowqueens Icedragon has (finally!) been published:

http://www.thewriterscoffeeshop.com/publishinghous...

hope this helps a bit

Well, I think the Infernal City by Greg Keyes is just a fanfic of the Elder Scrolls game series, and it's being published with permission from Bethesda Softworks. But I would have to say usually, no. I'm sure there's a lot of good fan fiction out there that has an honestly original take on the fan series, but most of it is just Mary-Sue stuff where the writer just creates a character that's based off off themselves, only they're perfect, so they can insert them in a fantasy world where a bunch of perfect and amazing things happen to them.

I do think I should point out, though, that writers, and I mean well-known and brilliant published writers, are always taking from another story. Most fantasy draws it's inspiration from somewhere else, maybe other stories that they've read, and THOSE take from stories that THEY'VE read, and eventually it just keeps going back until you get to the original source, which is just fairy tale, legends, mythology, and folklore. It's really not so different from, say, Greg Keyes up there writing about his take on the Elder Scrolls mythos. I don't write fan fiction myself, but I nonetheless often find myself trying to fill in the holes in the mythology of series that I'm a fan of, so I imagine that's all some fan fiction writers are trying to do, which isn't really unoriginal. A lot of movies do the same thing. Fanfic just happens to be a bit more pop-culture-ish, and yes, often a little tacky.

There have been many sequels or alternative-view stories written to out-of-copyright classics such as The Wizard of Oz, Pride & Prejudice, Rebecca, Alice In Wonderland, Sherlock Holmes, and various others. Those, essentially, are written on the same principles as fanfiction.

Of course, sometimes established writers are commissioned to write sequels or tie-ins. For instance, Ian Fleming's estate commissioned Sebastian Faulks to write his own James Bond novel, and Charlie Higson writes the Young Bond series about James Bond as a teenager. And writers are commissioned to write tie-ins to TV series all the time - Dr Who, X-Files, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. They're doing that at the request of the owner of the rights, but they're still essentially doing what a fanfic writer does - writing their own story with existing characters and within a pre-created universe.

If you mean, have there been cases where someone has written, uncommissioned, a fanfic for a still-in-copyright fandom and published it as a book, then no, they haven't. Without permission it would be illegal and it would be highly unlikely that the holder of the rights would ever grant that permission, as if they wanted tie-ins they'd commission them as discussed above.

As a fan fiction writer myself, I think that once I get published, I will let fans have almost-free reign if they want to write fan fictions for my books due to being in the same position they were in. It would be highly hypocritical of me to be against fan fiction for my stories when I once wrote it for someone else's stories. If someone came up with a contest to write a sequel for one of my stand-alone, I would happily let fans participate in it. My only conditions would be that I would never read it (wouldn't it weird you out to read someone else's sequel to a novel you originally wrote?) and that the fan never made money off of the fan fiction (excluding what the might win in the contest because that's a given). Even if they win, that sequel will not be considered canon. What comes out of MY mouth is probably canon; anything that comes from them is not. If they want to publish the sequel they wrote as their own novel/fan fiction (like so many people do with Phantom of the Opera), they can wait until I'm dead and my works are in the public domain, when it's legally allowed. One of the main laws of fan fiction is that it's nonprofit; I can't respect someone who would use their fan fictions of someone else's work to try and make money for themselves. (coughcoughcassiecoughcoughwheezeclareco...

I think typically the answer would be no. The ideas; characters, places and story, belong to the original author, I suppose if someone wanted to publish their fanfic they could do it with permission from the author and paying royalties to the author as well. But you could never send a fanfic story to a publisher and ask them to publish it, even if it was fantastic, because if the publisher did go through with it they would probably be sued.

Of course! There are tons of books in the Star Wars universe, and a few years ago, when Peter Pan was no longer under copyright protection, Dave Barry cowrote a prequel to it, describing where Peter came from, what Fairy Dust is and how Neverland was formed.

"Wicked" is a book all about the Wizard of Oz universe.

It definitely happens, but not until a book is out of copyright.

"Peter Pan In Scarlet".

Every Star Wars, Star Trek, Buffy the Vampire Slayer etc. etc. tie-in novel.

"The Young Sherlock Holmes."

The Charles Tritten "Heidi" books.

Anything utilising the Cthulhu Mythos which wasn't written by HP Lovecraft.

Those are just off the top of my head.

Yes, I'm cheating - tie-ins are commissioned, not sold by their authors the same way original novels are. But as far as writing them goes I don't see a difference. Are you really suggesting that all of this _huge_ number of books are "not real stories"? How about shows written by screenwriters for series where they are not the creator of the series - are they not real TV episodes?

And how would you like it if I took a wild sideswipe at whatever genre you write in, without ever reading any of it, and effectively said your writing is worthless?

• ?

A lot of the early Star Trek ones got published commercially (can't for the life of me remember the names tho - is was a while ago) and the writers went on to become professionals. For example Diane Duane.

Star Trek has published dozens by other writers. The original concept was by Gene Roddenberry.

• Erika

Wizard Of Oz Fanfiction