Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

A question for the lovers of science on R&S: What do you think of this?

I'd like to share my idea of time with you. Time is nothing but a concept we use to grasp what it means for an object to move from location A to location B. When a single electron moves around the nucleus even a bit, we say time has passed. If all the electrons in all the existing atoms stopped spinning around their nucleuses, we’d say time does not pass. The “T” letter you saw while you started reading this sentence is now in the past, the letter you are looking at right now is also in the past (read on to know why) and the “period” you will see by the end of time you’ve finished reading this sentence is the future. (Now even the moment you saw the period is part of the past.) This means such a thing as time does not even exist in reality. You moved your eyeballs. Things change and move, but time doesn't pass by, because it doesn't exist.

This means the notion of time travel is fiction at best. Unless you manage to make all the electrons in the world spin in the opposit direction, you're not going back in time and I reject the whole idea of space-time and time bending and time not being linear. You can't bend something that does not exist. The only way you can trick time is to trick yourself. Go to sleep and the next morning, you will not know how 8 hours have passed.

When you look at the stars, you see into the distant past, even when you look at the monitor screen, you’re seeing into the past, because it takes a fraction of time no matter how short for the light to reflect back from the surface of the object and to be processed by your brain and that's why whole you're readin you are not experiencing the present time. That being said, we are essentially living in the past. As fo the future, it does not exist.

We say time is relative, but in fact it’s not. It’s relative from the point of view of the perceiver. If there are advanced aliens somewhere in the universe and if they’re looking at planet Earth, they may not even see the Earth, since it hasn’t been formed yet from their perspective or they might be seeing the dinosaurs. If we someday invent telescopes powerful enough to be able to see the surface of an Earth like planet, we may not see the aliens living on it, because they haven’t come into existence from our point of view, although they may be really out there.

Also, we may be living in an infinite space where there is an infinite number of galaxies. We don’t see most of them because their light hasn’t reached us yet and many of the ones we see now may have been long dead and non-existent at present.

What do you think of this?

Favorite Answer

<cough> **** poor sophistry <cough>

Source(s): Stay in School

"If all the electrons in all the existing atoms stopped spinning around their nucleuses, we’d say time does not pass."

No, we wouldn't. There is no electron motion at absolute zero temperature, yet time still passes.

I think you need a great deal of education in physics, cosmology, astronomy, etc. You've basically taken your personal ignorance, and made up a bunch of stuff. That might be fun for you to do, but it's not much of an idea anybody else will or should pay attention to.

Peace.

Electrons spinning around their nucleus?? You make it sound like an orbit -- Such an oversimplification. You can't actually plot the activity of an electron, which has caused scientists to study string-theory. If string-theory were true, then it would mean multiple universes which exist parallel to each other.

"We say time is relative, but in fact it’s not. It’s relative from the point of view of the perceiver."

Massive contradiction -- Especially when you include the following:

"Go to sleep and the next morning, you will not know how 8 hours have passed." -- Relativity??

I still fail to see you're point.

• Kilmir

Although you're on the right track, you're missing one crucial part: time can actually move faster or slower for different objects. If you go faster time will move slower for you, as well as if you're near a large gravitational object time will move slower for you.

It isn't just relative to the point of observation, but it actually happens. If you would move away from the earth at near light speed for a year and then come back to the earth again at near light speed you will have aged 2 years, but everyone on earth will have aged decades (that's the principle, I don't have worked out values at hand).

A good introduction is the wikipedia pages, though if you really want to get a grasp of how it all works you'll need to dive into the mathematics of relativity.

Well, I'll probably get laughed at, but love appears to be a chemical reaction in the brain. How mere chemistry and matter could produce emotions and consciousness, I have no idea, nor does anyone else. But this appears to be the case. It also seems true that the love we have for others - a mother's love for her children - exist only because they were selected for by blind mechanical processes. You are in good company if you find this to be a chilling prospect. Nobel-prize winning physicist Steven Weinberg wrote, "Worse, the worldview of science is rather chilling. Not only do we not find any point to life laid out for us in nature, no objective basis for our moral principles, no correspondence between what we think is the moral law and the laws of nature, of the sort imagined by philosophers from Anaximander and Plato to Emerson. We even learn that the emotions that we most treasure, our love for our wives and husbands and children, are made possible by chemical processes in our brains that are what they are as a result of natural selection acting on chance mutations over millions of years. And yet we must not sink into nihilism or stifle our emotions. At our best we live on a knife-edge, between wishful thinking on one hand and, on the other, despair."

"This means the notion of time travel is fiction at best. Unless you manage to make all the electrons in the world spin in the opposit direction, you're not going back in time"

The primary reason time travel can't happen is that entropy is a one way street.

"and I reject the whole idea of space-time and time bending and time not being linear."

Whether you accept it or not, since 1905 it has been clear that space and time are inextricably woven together. What for observer A might happen in the same place, but different times, might for observer B happen at the same time but in different places, and observer C might disagree with both of them.

" If all the electrons in all the existing atoms stopped spinning around their nucleuses,"

Um, you still appear to be thinking using a badly outdated and flawed "atom as a solar system" image, which far more misleading that enlightening.

And overlooked a whole range of relativity effects, which do offer limited time travel possibilities.

(Just needing something with the mass of several stars to make it work.)

Peace.

One cannot waste time, rather one wastes him/ herself.

Do you suppose that for an event to occur in a time zone say 6 hours ahead of another, if information is relayed instantaneously, the other is seeing the future?

Time IS relative. Also, telescopes are launched into space, so they are closer to the source, hence closer to real time.

Agree to an extent.

I've tried to explain this to people but they don't understand so I use a simpler version.

Day lights saving time. It's man made. Not real. Which they argue with because they say it's really true. During day lights saving time the clock says 5:00 and it's already dark. Does that mean it gets dark at 5:00 now? No, it's actually 6:00 we just set our clocks back an hour. So it's getting dark at the same time. Time is man made and can be altered. Someone had to decide how many seconds were in a minute and how many minutes are in an hour and so on. So yes you are right in my opinion.

Electrons don't spin around atoms. They don't even move. Their places are indeterminate and probabilistically confined to certain atom orbitals.

Also, how do you square your personal belief that time doesn't exist with the implications of the theory of relativity, which has been time and again experimentally verified and which suggests time exists and is a dimension of our Universe, just like space?

Time has two properties.

Progress(related to evolution) and Event(related to Creation) by turns.

and Probability exist between two properties.

Möbius strip explains it very well. (one progress, one event, one probability)

This is my opinion >>

Chicken (event) -> Egg (progress) & Egg (event) -> Chicken (progress)

Schrödinger's cat was placed between one properties, just event. So, probability can not exist.

The reason, Wave-particle duality of light. I think so.

Progress / Event / Probability is a time. This is my trinity.

---------------------------------------…

Does time have the shape? Does soul have the shape?

Everything has the shape but these two in the world.

So, I made a great assumption "Time is soul(thinking, knowledge, memory, etc.)".

It was the beginning of my thinking, UNIONTERA.

We know...

To our great discouragement, these doesn't have one way by us.

Time walked to science way. Soul walked to religion way.

So, I gave you a new way uniontera for the great reconciliation.

Light up candle for a second. A second of light exist permanently or not?

Einstein deceive our world. Where is your common sense?

I mean, why he didn't tell us this so easy common sense.

The only base which can be the cause of Einstein's assumption...

[Assumption] "principle of constancy of light velocity".

[The only base] "Time of light is different from the starting point time."

This only base is not an assumption but a common sense. Can you see?

In my opinion, he already knew this base.

This common sense is a certain evidence for Uniontera.

This is my uniontera.

Existing is the time expressed by light itself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN1jTwHUC7E

Youtube thumbnail

- Point -

1. Arrow A is the laser work. (I mean, same time)

2. Arrow B is the reason of gravity. (also, Higgs boson / I mean, different time)

3. The rose line is the beginning light. (result from Bible)

4. The existing of different time. (result from Relativity of light)

5. 2 dimension is not a space. (result from math)

6. Universe(I mean "everything") came from nothing. (result from 5)

7. Progress / Event / Probability is a time. (Search my question. Already I told you so many time.)

8. Wave-particle duality of light (result from 7)

9. Meeting of different time (Cause of Rotation)

10. Your so-called black hole is a wholly condensed time. (Time is 0, result from math)

11. etc...everything. Existing is the time expressed by light itself. Your touching everything is a time.

YOur nonsense came from one time. Uniontera is a KEY.

English is not my first language, sorry!

If it is difficult to understand, just remember "Your touching everything is a time". This is the only one result of uniontera.