Why did prince charles marry princess diana when he loved camilla ?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
why didnt he marry camilla ?
Best Answer
That little tart tricked him into it.
  • 2
  • Comment

Other Answers (15)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • ? answered 3 years ago
    he probably wanted to have kids with Diana because she was more attractive and would have created better looking kids, Charles and Camilla would have made ugly kids
    • 3
    • Comment
  • Ainslee B answered 3 years ago
    His Mommy wouldn't let him :P
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Kim rum answered 3 years ago
    Camilla was already married to Andrew Parker Bowles
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Tom answered 3 years ago
    Camilla isn't a a "proper" person to marry.
    • 3
    • Comment
  • kiwi hard ! answered 3 years ago
    Have no idea but to make an oath of that kind and then do what he did has lost a lot of support for the royals and Charles becoming king. It was a great shame and disgust.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • ? answered 3 years ago
    Diana, the truly beautiful Princess of Wales, no longer alive, I truly belief was married to Charles for the purpose of bringing heirs to the throne, preferably male children.
    She was young and perfect a match...more I believe, a sacrifice to a Royal cause.
    Being as young as Princess Diana was, when wed; I believe it was 19 years of age? - and Charles 32, was a catch for the House of Windsor.
    Camilla, on the other hand, had had a rather pocked background, and would have never been chosen to become a princess through marriage.
    I believe that Charles should have had more backbone as a man, but obviously did not. So he continued to see Camilla, whom he knew since he was a very young man, and had always been delighted with Camilla's
    assertive personality, and her panache at easily engaging men into her whims and lack of proper behaviour.
    Princess Diana. had taken her role as legitimate princess very seriously, for at the age of 19, and having been a rather shy ingenue, did not think that she was a pawn manipulated to bring heirs into the world, pretty much for that purpose ESPECIALLY.
    I think that what the members of the House of Windsor used her, and made it seem she was misbehaving in every way, once she discovered she had been played as a pawn. I am certain she may have been livid, and for good reason. Diana, after the divorce from Charles became a world recognized attendant to human causes. She wanted the world to know who she really was, aside from just being a Royal pawn.
    As for Charles and Camilla, I believe they are derelict to what they believe is their station. Charles should have renounced Camilla, the temptress - as honour would have demanded the right action from a Prince be fulfilled, but no, he was a weak man in my estimations, and no more than a silly clown for having played his part against Diana, as legitimate Princess. I doubt very much, if the "engaging"Camilla, ever gave it a serious thought, that she was not only interfering, but that she made a very young Princess a great injustice, as well, as a non-caring offense and insult to a marriage, which even if it was greatly arranged - was a Marriage!
    As for the behaviour of a Prince, as supposedly should have been, is, and was as well then, while married to Diana, I find abominable for his weakness and underhandedness when it comes to his affair with Camilla, never stopped...but continued in secrecy.
    Such a man, who behaves this way, whether a commoner or a Royal, I'd not trust, as far as I could throw him one foot away from me. And he has lost, if ever he had had, which he never did, any admiration I could have had for him.
    In my book, he is only a baker's dozen of a scoundrel.
    And of Camilla, I can not withstand the least sight of her
    .
    Both these derelict of behaviour people, to me are worthy of mockery, and mockery alone...never, never of any respect!

Source(s):

The maintaining of Integrity, at all cost!
    • 1
    • Comment
  • capitalgentleman answered 3 years ago
    While Charles and Camilla knew each other, and were friends, that was it. Camilla was already married, and Charles did love Diana.

After Charles and Diana's marriage ended, Charles saw many friends, including the now divorced Camilla. They fell in love, and the rest is history.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • I love summer! answered 3 years ago
    Camilla was already married to Andrew at the time. They were married in 1973 and divorced in 1995.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • am38 answered 3 years ago
    He wasn't allowed to marry Camilla, and so instead of waiting and waiting (just like Waitie Katie) she gave up and married somebody else. He fell in love (momentarily) with Diana, and she was the perfect match for him (not in hindsight). However, he soon realised that it was Camilla that he truly loved.
    Perceptions in the royal household have changed now, and this allows William to marry a girl that he has flatted with. Wouldn't have been allowed in Charle's early years.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Diana T answered 3 years ago
    Camilla's candidacy was vetoed by several senior members of the Royal Family, who had great influence on Prince Charles, including Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother and Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma. Camilla had other relationships before meeting Prince Charles, and although there wasn't anything scandalous, it was enough to deem her 'unsuitable': the Heir to the Throne was expected to marry someone with no 'past'.

The Queen Mother wanted Charles to marry one of the granddaughters of her beloved friend and former lady-in-waiting Ruth, Lady Fermoy (Diana's grandmother), whereas Earl Mountbatten wanted Charles to marry his own granddaughter Amanda Knatchbull. Such was the influence of the Earl on Charles, that he dully wrote to Amanda's mother asking permission for a courtship. Although they dated for very short time (if dated at all), when Earl Mountbatten was killed in an IRA attack in 1979, Charles proposed to Amanda, who turned him down believing they didn't know each other well enough.

After Earl Mountbatten's death, the most influential figure in Charles' life was his grandmother, who pretty much arranged his courtship with Lady Sarah Spencer (Diana's elder sister). They dated for some time, however eventually it was Diana who caught Charles' eye. They dated for about 6 months, but once their relationship became public, there was a very heavy pressure on Charles to propose both from public and his own family. Perhaps he sensed the timing wasn't right but there was not one single person he could turn to with his doubts, certainly not his family.

Perhaps if Charles and Diana had been given some more time to figure out their feelings, the outcome could have been different. I do strongly believe Charles had honest intentions and really wanted the marriage to work but he and Diana were completely different people and didn't understand each others' needs.
    Diana came from a broken family and wanted someone who could lavish attention and care on her 24/7. As is typical for people like that, she wanted as much attention as possible - even if it was from people she didn't know (the public and media). Charles (who received very little attention from his won parents), on the other hand, needed someone who would support him, both as a person and as a Prince of Wales. Another problem was that Charles put his duty first, something Diana could never understand; for her, Royal life was always secondary to private one - and Charles, born to Royalty and Duty, couldn't comprehend that.

During his famous interview, Charles said he went back to Camilla after his marriage was 'irreversibly broken'. I believe that account.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• flyingbug answered 3 years ago
    The Queen and Charles' uncle (the Earl Mountbatten) apparently didn't think Camilla was appropriate consort material.

Charles had to have HM's permission to marry; otherwise, the marriage is considered invalid and any resulting children would have no succession rights (Royal Marriages Act).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Char...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camilla_Par...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Marri...

Source(s):

• 1
    • Comment
  • Linda_Doxiegal answered 3 years ago
    Charles did not want to get married that early in his life (he would be early 20's at that point). Also, Camilla was not a virgin and had already had several lovers by the time she & Charles became involved. Plus the establishment of the Palace / older members of the Royal Household were against her as not being blue-blooded enough to be the future Queen.

Charles did not love her enough at the time tOR know his own mind -- to fight to have her as his chosen bride. That still makes him look a bit weak to me even now ..... He took the easy path of a gentle and supposedly obedient young virgin bride (Diana) with the knowledge that he would see Camilla on the side.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • JroxAvier answered 3 years ago
    I heard because the queen and her lady in waiting arranged for their children to marry each other
    • 1
    • Comment
  • deekayowe answered 3 years ago
    The relationship he had with Camilla was taboo. Also, I think it might have had something to do with having children.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Star-Hex answered 3 years ago
    Because he's ugly.
    • 1
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock