Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 10 years ago

Are comic book movies, sci-fi and fantasy considered to be action movies too?

I mean there genre. Is their genre only action or are they sperate from action movies and what is considered an action movie? Say is lord of the rings an action movie or is it just fantasy? or is iron man an action movie or is it just comicbook? What is the exaxt genre. Same goes for Star wars, Indiana jones and there other examples of movies. Or is action just a movie like Steven seagal, lethal weapon and stuff like that.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Those genres are considered as separate from action movies. Wikipedia defines the genres as the following:

Action - A film genre where one or more heroes is thrust into a series of challenges that require physical feats, extended fights and frenetic chases.

Sci-fi - A film genre that uses speculative, science-based depictions of phenomena that are not necessarily accepted by mainstream science, such as extraterrestrial life forms, alien worlds, extrasensory perception, and time travel, often along with futuristic elements such as spacecraft, robots, or other technologies.

Fantasy - A film genre with fantastic themes, usually involving magic, supernatural events, make-believe creatures, or exotic fantasy worlds. The genre is considered to be distinct from science fiction film and horror film, although the genres do overlap.

Most movies fit into multiple genres at the same time. For instance, Terminator 2 is a great sci-fi and a great action movie. Lord of the Rings is fantasy, adventure, and action. Iron Man is action, science fiction, and a comic book adaptation. Star Wars is fantasy/scifi (that's a whole debate in itself), along with action, adventure, and romance. Indiana Jones is a fantasy-adventure film.

You can get some movies that fit neatly into only one genre (Die Hard is definitely an action movie, 2001 is definitely a sci-fi) but that's actually pretty rare, and almost all movies are a gentle blend of different genres. There's quite a lot overlap between all of them.

• 10 years ago

It depends on the movie. A movie can be a sci-fi and not be an action movie (Moon), or be fantasy and not considered an action movie (something like the Bridge to Terabithia), or it can have both like Lord of the Rings, and others.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

I'm 49 and I love old horror comics from the early 70's and started a collection of "The X-Files" dvds last year. Do I care what others might think about this? Not one single iota, but you really need to put some distance between yourself and the action figures if you ever want to get any action with the ladies. Know what I mean?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.