What are some GOOD medical coding training schools in nashville?

I am looking into a career in medical coding and/or record keeping. I have a high school diploma and I'm looking into a real career even tho I'm employed. Any recommendations? I have eliminated Daymar, Remington, MedVance, and Anthem colleges due to bad reviews. If anyone currently working in the industry could help, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

I would recommend your local community or technical school, they will be less expensive than the private or career colleges, their credits should be transferable (if you wish to continue your education) and most offer online classes. I went to my local community college and I got a great education for not very much money.

If you are interested in online program, I would only recommend 3, either the program through CareerStep or the programs offered by AHIMA or AAPC.

Just an FYI, this field has quickly become over saturated with new grads and most employers are only hiring employees who have at least 2 years experience. When you read about coding shortages, they mostly mean there is a shortage of experienced and certified coders. So once you gain the necessary experience, there are usually a fair amount of jobs to chose from.

But until you get that experience, it can be hard to find a job. It is generally the advice to try to get a job elsewhere in HIM. If you can, try to find a HIM job in a hospital, front desk, billing, account follow up or medical records. That way you can gain experience and network. Most hospitals prefer to hire from within, so already being an employee will give you an advantage.

Good Luck. You can email me if you have other questions.

Source(s): medical coder- 6 years