Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

when is 道 read as do or michi? (japanese)?

i know that 道 can be read as do or michi but does it make a difference when you read it the other way? what is the difference between the 2?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • James
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you see 道 by itself, it is always read as "michi" (road, street, path, way).

If you see it as part of a compound word, it the reading depends on the word (for example, 北海道 "Hokkaido" or 片道 "katamichi").

There is no difference in meaning between the two because they simply two readings of the same word. "dou" is the on'yomi (Japanese reading of a kanji character based on the original Chinese pronunciation) and "michi" is the kun'yomi (native Japanese reading of a kanji character based on the original ancient Japanese word of that meaning.).

There are 790 words that contain 道 and there is no rule (other than the above) to know when to use michi or dou, so we basically have to learn the differences case by case, unfortunately. However, "dou" seems to be much more common, and often deals with a "way" or a spiritual "path" rather than a physical road. some common "dou" words are:

道具 (どうぐ, dōgu): tool

道路 (どうろ, dōro): road

鉄道 (てつどう, tetsudō): railway

道徳 (どうとく, dōtoku): ethics

報道 (ほうどう, hōdō): broadcast

軌道 (きどう, kidō): orbit

赤道 (せきどう, sekidō): equator

食道 (しょくどう, shokudō): oesophagus

水道 (すいどう, suidō): water supply

道教 (どうきょう, dōkyō): Taoism

道理 (どうり, dōri): rational

柔道 (じゅうどう, jūdō): judo

合気道 (あいきどう, aikidō): aikido

書道 (しょどう, shodō): calligraphy

武道 (ぶどう, budō): budo

茶道 (さどう, sadō): tea ceremony

花道 (かどう, kadō): flower arrangement

Michi more often seems to deal with a physical "road" or "journey". some common "michi" words are:

帰り道 [かえりみち: KAERIMICHI] (n) the way back or home, return trip.

近道 [ちかみち: CHIKAMICHI] (n,vs) short way, shortcut.

片道 [かたみち: KATAMICHI] (n,adj-no) one-way (trip).

道すがら [みちすがら: MICHISUGARA] (adv) along the road, along the way

道なき道 [みちなきみち: MICHINAKIMICHI] (exp) trackless path

In sentences:

道を訊く [みちをきく: MICHIWOKIKU] (exp,v5k) to ask the way

道を分かる [みちをわかる: MICHIWAKARU] (exp,v5k) to know the way

• 1 decade ago

Stand alone noun: michi.

If it's part of another word, it's do.

道で立っている。

MIchi de tatte iru. (I'm standing in the street).

北海度

Hokkaido.

No difference just chinese-based pronucation. Like when we use words in english or use words that have latin roots.

Like when you say someone is a Beginner or you call someone a Novice (Nova meaning New in Latin).

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

there is not any maximum suitable form of martial arts. each and every martial artist has diverse wisdom., which cause them to unique. i exploit to be a Muay thai kickboxing champion, and a competitor interior the Kyokushinkai karate circuit. All those warring parties the two knowledgeable interior the martial arts for years or switched, and use what they learn from the hot artwork of their arsenal. i think that martial arts has to have a unity. i think of that's familiar. My instructors, masters, or perhaps fellow pupils tell me that what you learn from one kind could be use in the different. think of roughly it. maximum persons could substitute into inpatient, yet martial arts supplies the endurance to be certain what I suggested interior the previous sentence.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.