I need an explanation on how this works. How this fact is true ?

'If you slowly pour a handful of salt into a totally full glass of water it will not overflow. In fact, the water level will go down.'

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

'If you slowly pour a handful of salt into a totally full glass of water it will not overflow. In fact, the water level will go down.'

When NaCl is dissolved in H2O, it forms 2 ions.

The Na+1ions are attracted to the negative end of the H2O molecules.

AND

The Cl-1ions are attracted to the positive end of the H2O molecules.

This force of attraction between water and salt decreases the total volume of the solution, more than the additional volume of Na+1 and Cl-1 ions increases the volume.

The result is a decrease of the total volume as NaCl is dissolved.

The same thing happens when pure ethanol is mixed with pure water.

AND

This force of attraction between water and salt decreases the total volume of the solution, more than the additional volume of Na+1 and Cl-1 ions increases the volume.

AND

The same thing happens when pure ethanol is mixed with pure water.

100 ml of C2H5OH + 100 ml of H2O = less than 200 ml of solution!

I used to tell the students that this is proof of the EMPTY space between molecules.

The total force of attraction between water and salt pulls all the molecules closer together, so the empty space has decreased.

The total force of attraction is actually compressing the solution from inside the solution.

• 10 years ago

It reduces the water due to osmosis. The water goes from a high concentration to a low concentration. In my chem class we put celery into sugar water and into salt water. The NaCl and water kind of form bonds and the celery becomes weak.

• heller
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

A Handful Of Salt

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.