How does 1 John 2:1-6 apply to Christianity today?

1 John 2:1-6 GNB I am writing this to you, my children, so that you will not sin; but if anyone does sin, we have someone who pleads with the Father on our behalf---Jesus Christ, the righteous one. (2) And Christ himself is the means by which our sins are forgiven, and not our sins only, but also the sins of everyone. (3) If we obey God's commands, then we are sure that we know him. (4) If we say that we know him, but do not obey his commands, we are liars and there is no truth in us. (5) But if we obey his word, we are the ones whose love for God has really been made perfect. This is how we can be sure that we are in union with God: (6) if we say that we remain in union with God, we should live just as Jesus Christ did.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Dalan
    Lv 5
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

So many people say "we keep the commandments" and live like Messiah, but when they are asked about a particular commandment the answer is always "that was done away with" or "that was just of the Jews".

The concept that Messiah kept the Sabbath, the Feast Days and Kosher, as well as every other aspect of the law that He could and they don't even try to live like Him has a hollow ring to it.

1 John 2:6 if we say that we remain in union with G_d, we should live just as Yahshua did.

THis can't happen of you don't observe the Sabbaths and the other aspects of the law.

• 10 years ago

It is basically saying that if you love Christ, and are a follower of Christ, then it will show in the way that you live your life. I think the beginning is a reminder that nobody is perfect, and that that is why Jesus came in the first place, so he does not expect us to never make mistakes. Yet, it is expected as a Christ follower that we try to live as Jesus lived as best we can. So, it applies to Christians today, because we need to be reminded that just because all of our sins are forgiven by Jesus, doesn't mean we don't have to obey His commands anymore. If we truly love Him, then we should show it through our actions.

• Rjgmh
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

This verse has several interesting things to tell us.

First of all it tells us that if you do not follow God's commandments you are not saved. One of the reasons for this is if someone prays the sinners prayer in order to get saved, but this person trusts the prayer and not Jesus Christ. that means he says he is a Christian but he is not. and this will show in his lifestyle.

It also tells that the sins of all men were forgiven by Christs payment. That means that we should not hold a grudge against anyone. Because Just as we were forgiven so are they forgiven.

There is lots more but then this would not be an answer but a sermon.

• 10 years ago

Great idea. I think the majority of REAL christians do try to follow that, although many don't. With fundamentalists, it seems to be reversed. Some do try to follow this, but the majority seem to be wrapped up in trying to prove everyone else wrong (including each other) and sticking their noses into politics. Somehow they seem to have lost Jesus along the way.

Blessings on your Journey!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Not sure what you're asking. Everything I read there applies to us as much as anyone in the past.

• D
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

To me this is a no brainer the answer is YES. Why wouldn't it?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.