flamingice1642 asked in SportsHockey · 10 years ago

What do you think about Lindy Ruff and his contract extension?

Favorite Answer

I know a lot of my fellow Sabres fans will disagree because Lindy Ruff is so popular in Buffalo but I don't think he should have received a contract extension. He's had 14 years behind the bench in Buffalo and has only one failed visit to the Stanley Cup finals to show for it.

I like Lindy but I don't think he has the coaching qualities necessary to guide even a rebuilt and well-financed Sabres team to the Cup. I actually think he's been in Buffalo too long and the players have mostly tuned him out.

Mind you, I didn't think Darcy Regier should have been retained as GM either. A fresh start in a new direction under the new ownership would benefit from new faces at both GM and head coach. It may take a couple of years for them to realize these changes are necessary but I believe they'll get there, eventually.

• ULAM

How good are the Sabres without Ryan Miller? He's good enough to make a playoff team out of pretty much anybody. How much of the Sabres' success has anything to do with Ruff? We'll never know until Miller is gone or injured.

I suspect Buffalo's success is more tied to the fact that they have (arguably) the world's best goalie than the efforts of their coach. He's not bad, but I think he's overrated.

• Tyler

Frankly, I'm more concerned with what the Sabres do this offseason. I don't really care who the coach is. If anyone knows Lindy, it's me. His family has lived in my town for years, his son (and really hot daughter) go to my school. His son is a prep a55whole. A huge one at that, too. Christ, they even go to my church(they show up about 10 times a year).

He's stood by our team for this long, and I don't really see a huge reason why he SHOULD leave. Unless they had any other plans for a good coach, I'd probably decide to keep him too. All in all, I guess I really don't care that much at all about who the coach is. I'd like to see Regier spend some money (hopefully they will raise the cap).

• Stevie

I think it shows class on Ruff's part and that of the new owner.

I expect to see improvement for this team in the future.

He is a hall of fame coach i think it was a great idea

i think it was a great idea.

good move.

i think it will be a while before Buffalo wins anything

A Hall of Fame coach my derriere.