what exactly does it mean when martial law is inacted in a city in a state of emergency?

I heard that in Pleasant Grove, Alabama that martial law has been encted and they are covered up with military personnel. What does the military do there?

Update:

I must have misheard or gotten misinformation about the enacting of martial law. But it made since when I saw all the gaurds in their uniforms and everything. Thankyou so much for all of your input.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • DrZ
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

Martial law is the imposition of military rule by military authorities over designated regions on an emergency basis—usually only temporary—when the civilian government or civilian authorities fail to function effectively (e.g., maintain order and security, and provide essential services), when there are extensive riots and protests, or when the disobedience of the law becomes widespread. In most cases, military forces are deployed to quiet the crowds, to secure government buildings and key or sensitive locations, and to maintain order.[1] Generally, military personnel replace civil authorities and perform some or all of their functions. The constitution could be suspended, and in full-scale martial law, the highest ranking military General would take over, or be installed, as the military governor or as head of the government, thus removing all power from the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of the federal government.

Typically after a disaster like the tornadoes, some people will go on looting sprees where they will take whatever they want. The police and other authorities are tied up attempting to assist their citizens. The military comes in and takes over those duties.

I hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Z

• WRG
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

While the definitions of martial law that have been already given are fine, you should know that it has not been declared in Pleasant Grove, Alabama or any where else in the US since the civil war.

The military that is there is National Guard and they are helping with the search and rescue and clean up after the tornado.

• 3 years ago

And so it starts. I do think of this could be a style interior the very close to destiny. For one situation Bush and Cheney are approximately to be on the warm seat with Rumsfeld over this torture deal. we are speaking Nuremberg trials right here. Edit: putting forward a state or emergency is a similar perspective that Bush is using.He has already aligned the Whitehouse with the main stunning govt orders and definitions of terrorism and what qualifies a state of emergency including an outbreak outbreak this chilly and flu season.He has additionally already have been given Operation Nobel Eagle troops swarming throughout Washington.

• 9 years ago

It means that normal legal standards ( judus Prudence I think) are temporarily suspended. Instead of the civilian police being ultimately responsible for enforcing the law that job is performed by the military.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • BruceN
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

All constitutional rights are suspended. All Civil and police authority is vested in the military commander, who may issue curfews, search people and premises without warrant, detain any person or class of person (i.e. racially profile), shoot looters etc.

• 9 years ago

Prevent looting and assist in rescue/recovery operations, assuring the flow of supplies to survivors in shelters and coordinating plans to allow local governments to again take control as soon as possible.

• 9 years ago

It means that anyone caught looting,stealing or committing crimes in the wake of the disaster,the military has permission to shoot first and ask questions later.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.