Everywhere, I read about trust and love and respect. These are all abstracts. If you don't have these in the first place you shouldn't even consider marriage.
Don't forget that marriage is something that you have to work at to be good at it. Like a game only for keeps.
Oh well, here goes.
1. Never, ever go to sleep on an argument. Talk it out, give and take, listen and learn.
2. Now this is difficult if your a bloke. Even if you are so in the right that it hurts, say YOU'RE SORRY and explain that you were wrong. Yeah, I know. It's not considered macho to do that , but guess what.........it works.
3. Do some more of 1 and 2. Oh, Make sure that you always know her birthday and the day you got married and even if you only get her a card, always make sure it says 'To My Darling Wife'.
4. Now this is the really difficult one........make sure that the person you pick, is one that you can talk to, you can get on with and ..if it is a woman..that she can cook and make a meal out of some rice and vegetables. It does help if she 'loves' you, but is not essential as love grows.
5. Last but not least......tell her/him that you love her/him. Totally out of the blue. Say it. You don't need a reason.....just say it. But don't use that secret all the time 'cos you'll wear it out. And don't say it when you're in trouble otherwise it will sound, and probably will be, false. Let her/him know that you care about her/him.
What else can I say. Life isn't a game, there is no rehearsal. It's for real. There is no script for the perfect marriage............well , there is, but I'm not letting you have ours. My missus is reading this over my shoulder and having a good laugh, but nodding at the same time.
So Bill and Kath .(think about who just got married???) work at it, give it a go, and if you get any problems go and see Mom and Dad. (That's HRH and DofE to us) They ain't done so bad.
Y'all have a good day, now , y'hear.
Nearly 50 years in the saddle, pardner. That's the wife, not me.....He..he..he