This question refers to Presidential elections not local elections. During Presidential election time there?

is a lot of advice out there for citizens - telling them that its very important for them to get out and vote and that every vote really counts. But I live in a small state - Maryland. Because of the configuration of the electoral college it is mathematically impossible for the state of Maryland to be a deciding factor in a Presidential election. Doesn't that mean that for me and millions like me - our vote is meaningless and that the Get Out and Vote message is really just a bunch of Public Relations feel good hype?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Your state gets two senators, just like every other state. If the millions like you all stay home it is millions of votes. Become informed and go vote. Congressional and senatorial elections are often just as important as the presidential vote.

P.s. Thank you Reagan, for ending civics classes in high school....jeez, this shouldn't even be an issue! If you understood how the government worked you wouldn't question your civic duty to be informed and vote. And kudos to the poster who mentioned our brave boys and girls out there dying to protect this fundamental right.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Just go vote anyways. Sometimes there are congressional elections that you can make a difference in with razor thin margins. There are also state and local which you mentioned.

• 10 years ago

Voting is a right that several hundred thousand Americans soldiers died for...and you think it's "meaningless". You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.