What's the trick to stretchy, Fluffy Pizza Dough?

I've tried a lot of recipes and they're okay, but not great. They all come out with a more "biscuit" type texture like a frozen pizza. Not the fluffy, elastic-y, commercial kind of crust (kind of like Papa Johns). What's the secret?? All the recipes I find are exactly the same. Is it just the way you prepare the dough? Does it have to do with gluten?

Thanks for the help :)

• Emu
    Favorite Answer

Whey is that secret ingredient you are looking for. Whey makes the dough stretchy and it bakes up great. This is a recipe I got from my son who used to work in a sports bar. They were quite famous for their pizza's.

PIZZA CRUST

2 tsp. whey powder

1 lb. flour - 2 3/4 c.

1 tsp. baking powder

1 oz. butter

1/2 tsp. salt

1 pkg. yeast

1 cup warm water

In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water, and let sit for 10 minutes.

Stir the salt and butter into the yeast solution. Mix in 2 cups of the flour, the whey and baking powder.

Turn dough out onto a clean, well floured surface, and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Place the dough into a well oiled bowl, and cover with a cloth. Let the dough rest for 45 min. Punch down the dough, and form a tight ball. Allow the dough to relax for a minute before rolling out. Use for your favorite pizza recipe.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). If you are baking the dough on a pizza stone, you may place your toppings on the dough, and bake immediately. If you are baking your pizza in a pan, lightly oil the pan, and let the dough rise for 15 or 20 minutes before topping and baking it.

Bake pizza in preheated oven, until the cheese and crust are golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.

• teller

Fluffy Pizza Dough

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I've tried a lot of recipes and they're okay, but not great. They all come out with a more "biscuit" type texture like a frozen pizza. Not the fluffy, elastic-y, commercial kind of crust (kind of like Papa Johns). What's the secret?? All the recipes I find are exactly the...

Source(s): 39 trick stretchy fluffy pizza dough: https://bitly.im/q1H8k

You have to use a lean yeast dough and retard it for 24-36 hours and then use the least amount of dough possible .Think half way between a baseball and a softball

The retarding allows two important things to happen

Your dough develops good flavor

But more importantly your gluten relaxes which allows you stretch your dough w/o it springing back

btw

Papa John's makes horrible pizza

Source(s): I make great home-made pizza and since I grew up in NYC I know what great pizza is

It could be the ingredients. Where do you get your yeast? Also, you have to let the dough grow for hours before making the pizza, a lot of people only wait a half hour or so. The only other thing would be your oven. Whenever I make pizza at home it always comes out white (not the dark tan crust you get from the pizzeria) and not as cispy

the right mixture of flour and water plus the type of flour used

a professional chefs recipe for pizza dough

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/p...

http://www.quietfish.com/notebook/?p=2144

THICK FLUFFY PIZZA DOUGH

4 c. flour

1 tsp. salt

3/4 c. milk

1 pkg. yeast

4 eggs, beaten

1/2 c. butter

Sift flour and salt into a warm bowl, make well in center, warm the milk. Pour into well and sprinkle in the yeast. Let stand 5 minutes until yeast is dissolved. Add beaten eggs, gradually stir in flour and knead mixture until smooth and elastic. Work in butter. Cover, let rise in warm place for 40 minutes or until double in bulk. Knead lightly to release air, cover bowl with plastic wrap, refrigerate until needed. Roll out to desired thickness on floured board. Pat out on round pizza pan. Fill with desired topping. Let rise 10 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.