when Mormons talk about .....?

when they say that the bible says that the book of Mormon would be the second part of the bible, what scripture in the bible, are they referring to?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There are many scriptures in the Bible that are used. Y/A wouldn't let me put everything, so I put some and added some links. Of course you can also do a search for "proof of book of mormon in the bible" to find some.

The Bible indicates both the old world and the new world.

"…For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).

This scripture means both the old and the new world, the whole world. Not just Israel, not just Rome, etc. But everyone in the entire world.

"And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd." (John 10:16)

This scripture refers to Nephites and Lamanites in the new world as well as the other 10 lost tribes - which even today we do not know where they are.

"…Woe to the land shadowing with wings which is beyond the rivers of Ethiopia [Africa]; that sendeth ambassadors by the sea…" (Isa.18:1,2).

Only America is beyond Africa. And she has certainly sent more missionaries "by the sea" than any other nation. Her emblem is the eagle, and the two Americas are shaped like a bird with wings.

"…For out of Jerusalem shall go forth a remnant, and they that escape out of mount Zion; the zeal of the Lord of hosts shall do this." (Isaiah 37:32)

The prophecy is plain—a remnant was to escape from Jerusalem. That occurred around 588 BC, the time of the Babylonian captivity.

Jeremiah, living in Jerusalem at the time, delivered a precious prophecy in Jer.49: 30, 31

They were to go "far off." It is to be a "wealthy nation which have neither gates nor bars, which dwell alone." There’s no place in the old world like that. All cities of the Old World had walls; they had gates and bars, and they certainly did not dwell alone. The prophecy no doubt refers to the New World, specifically the Americas. The Americas were wealthy and they dwelt alone.

"Joseph is a fruitful bough, even a fruitful bough by a well; whose branches run over the wall.... The blessings of thy father have prevailed above the blessings of my progenitors unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills: they shall be on the head of Joseph, and on the crown of the head of him that was separate from his brethren." (Gen 49:22,26)

An interesting passage, indeed. Joseph and his descendants have been separated "from his brethren."

Here are a couple points to consider: 1) Joseph is a fruitful bough by a well. What’s a "bough" and what’s a "well?" Let scripture answer scripture.

"…O Shepherd of Israel, thou what leadest Joseph like a flock…Thou hast brought a vine out of Egypt; thou hast cast out the heathen, and planted it…She sent out her boughs unto the sea, and her branches unto the river…" (Psalm 80: 1,8,11) "…they [Israel] wandered through the wilderness; her branches are stretched out, they are gone over the sea." (Isaiah16:8)

Wherever they are, the "everlasting hills" are in Joseph’s Land. And that’s where his descendants went.

If you look at a map of the world and find the longest chain of mountains on it, according to Duane Crowther, you’ll discover the everlasting hills. They are the mountains which come up out of the sea, way up in the north at the very western tip of Alaska. The mountains rise out of the sea, they curve down through Alaska and Canada and the United States and Central America, and continue all the way down to the tip of South America, where they disappear back into the Sea.

The Bible Prophesies of the Book of Mormon

"…And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee; and he saith, I cannot, for it is sealed. And learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee; and he saith, I am not learned." (Isaiah 29:11, 12)

In late February, 1828, Joseph Smith sent Martin Harris to New York with a copy of the Book of Mormon characters. He was to meet with Professor Charles Anthon, "a gentleman celebrated for his literary attainments." The professor asked Mr. Harris if he would bring the plates so he could translate them.

"…I informed him," said Mr. Harris, "that part of the plates were sealed, and that I was forbidden to bring them. He replied, ‘I cannot read a sealed book.’"

Obviously, an apparent fulfillment of Isaiah 29. The book is delivered to two men, one learned and one unlearned. One a professor and the other a farmer’s lad with a third grade education.

"…The word of the Lord came again unto me saying, Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it. For Judah and for the children of Israel his companions; then take another stick, and write upon it. For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions; and join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand." --Ezekiel 37:15-17

• 10 years ago

They are misrepresenting an Old Testament passages that says two books will be joined together.

First of all, this passage is in the Old Testament which came BEFORE the new testament existed. So when the new testament came, it was joined to the old. THAT is the fulfillment of THAT prophecy.

The Mormon idea, bases itself on you being gullible enough to forget that the Old and New Testaments are actually two separate sets of books. The Jews to this day see the Old Testament as their complete Bible, so the Jews are evidence that the prophecy refers to the NEW Testament joining... NOT the Book of Mormon.

• 10 years ago

Contrary to what the bible states in Gal 1:8” But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.” (KJV) A man named Joseph Smith produced The Book of Mormon.

He claimed that an angel described to him the location of a book written on gold plates. The angel, named Moroni, also told, supposedly, of a pair of special glasses which would enable Smith to translate the book. Smith claimed to have found these things and to have translated the writing. This supposed translation of the secret plates called The Book of Mormon.

The Book of Mormon contains many plagiarisms of the King James English (at least 25,000 words). This is strange since the plates were supposed to have been in the ground many centuries before the King James Bible was completed in 1611! The Book of Mormon also contains many errors such as claims of elephants in the Western Hemisphere and advanced metal producing capabilities in America before 400 A.D. (See Walter Martin's Kingdom of the Cults for a fine study in the errors of the Mormon Bible)

While Mormons profess to believe and revere the Bible as well, they refuse to accept its teachings, preferring instead to follow the contradictory teachings of Smith's writings and of the later Mormon prophets and apostles.

Many people assume that if they read the Book of Mormon they will get a good idea of LDS beliefs. However, the Book of Mormon teaches one God, not plural gods as in Mormonism. It mentions heaven and hell, not three degrees of glory, no temple marriage or secret temple ceremonies. It does not teach baptism for the dead, pre-existence of man, eternal progression or polygamy. One of the most objectionable doctrines in the Book of Mormon is its view of skin color. White skin is seen as desirable, dark skin is seen as a mark of God's displeasure. Smith wrote the Book of Mormon in the late 1820's. Over the next fifteen years his doctrines underwent radical changes which are seen in his revelations in the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price.

I believe the primary purpose of the Book of Mormon is to convince all people to become Mormons but it is a misleading tool used to deceive people.

Some of the false Mormon beliefs are as follows: (1) Salvation is by faith in Christ plus the good works of the Mormon Church. (2) Adam was God who had come from Heaven with one of his heavenly wives, Eve. (3) The Book of Mormon and other writings of Joseph Smith are as true and binding as the Bible. (4) Men can become gods by obedience to Mormon teachings. (5) Men have eternal pre-existence before being born into this world. (6) The Mormon Church is the only true church today. (7) God did not create the universe from nothing; matter has always existed. (8) Jesus was helped by Adam and others in creating the world. (9) Adam's sin was necessary for other men to be born and for men to have joy. (10) Jesus was born as the result of a physical union between God the Father and Mary; Mormons believe God the Father has a body. (11) Jesus was married while on earth. (12) There are sins which man must atone for himself because Christ's blood cannot cleanse them. (13) No one can have eternal life without keeping all the commandments of God. (14) Living people can be baptized for dead people to help the dead achieve salvation. (15) The saved will go to three different heavens, according to their particular merit.

All of these beliefs are contrary to the Bible. The Mormon Church must be avoided in obedience to Ro. 16:17-18; 2 Jn. 9-11 and other passages which command separation from error.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.