Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Isn’t this another victory for us taxpayers?

4/27/11 boston.com: House lawmakers voted overwhelmingly last night to strip police officers, teachers, and other municipal employees of most of their rights to bargain over health care, saying the change would save millions of dollars for financially strapped cities and towns.

The 111-to-42 vote followed tougher measures to broadly eliminate collective bargaining rights for public employees in Ohio, Wisconsin, and other states. But unlike those efforts, the push in Massachusetts was led by Democrats who have traditionally stood with labor to oppose any reduction in workers’ rights.

Update:

For their failure, teachers ought to volunteer to take a pay cut:

-3/09/11 AP: 82 percent of US schools may be labeled failing: An estimated 82 percent of U.S. schools could be labeled as "failing" under the nation's No Child Left Behind Act this year, Education Secretary Arne Duncan said Wednesday. The Department of Education estimates the number of schools not meeting targets will skyrocket from 37 to 82 percent in 2011.

-12/7/07 Washington Post: “The scores from the 2006 Program for International Student Assessment showed that U.S. 15-year-olds trailed their peers from many industrialized countries. The average science score of U.S. students lagged behind those in 16 of 30 countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, a Paris-based group that represents the world's richest countries. The U.S. students were further behind in math, trailing counterparts in 23 countries.”

-2/22/11 CNS news: Two-thirds of the eighth graders in Wisconsin public schools cann

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Chin T
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes it is

When there is no money there is no money.

Unions strong armed legislators who did not realize how deep they were backing themselves into a financial corner, now it is either jump off the cliff and have zero dollars with which to pay the unions who bled us dry or cut off what ever needless expenditures they can. The tax payer money they gave away to teachers and local police officers came from PROPERTY taxes. Properties are becoming EMPTY. Values are going DOWN. Property owners are contesting their tax bills in order to reduce them so they can stay in their homes.

Empty houses pay no taxes and teachers have no funds from which to draw their benefits.

This is a market correction. Anyone who thinks because they elected a Democrat money will fall from the sky is delusional. In fact the reverse is true as we have a Democrat in control of the White House and The Senate and until this past Nov the Congress also. Yet matters have only gotten worse. Businesses continue to close, jobs continued to be lost, and the spending created massive inflation which can already be felt in supper markets and at the gas pumps.

When there is no money there is no money and being in a Union does not make that different

Many Unions have helped bleed the system dry and helped cause it though.

And in NY Cuomo the Democrat Governor sounds the same.

Again Union or not you can't get blood out of a stone, and you can kill the goose that lays your eggs by demanding to many eggs.

I particularly enjoyed this quote from an article with the same first paragraph

"It’s pretty stunning,’’ said Robert J. Haynes, president of the Massachusetts AFL-CIO. “These are the same Democrats that all these labor unions elected. The same Democrats who we contributed to in their campaigns. The same Democrats who tell us over and over again that they’re with us, that they believe in collective bargaining, that they believe in unions… . It’s a done deal for our relationship with the people inside that chamber.’’

“We are going to fight this thing to the bitter end,’’ he added. “Massachusetts is not the place that takes collective bargaining away from public employees.’’

Do not fear, with the amount of qualified people looking for work, any employee who is not thankful to have a job and quits because their benefits were cut back will be replaced by one of the 10-50 qualified (if not over qualified) people who will be applying for that same job.

• meg
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

I can remember when teachers, policemen and firefighters were respected occupations and most little kids wanted to grow up to be like them , I am not sure when it changed, but I wonder how many children today will want to work for state and local governments 20 years from now when the join the work force. I have a feeling that the "taxpayers' are winning battles but will lose the war for good government.

• 10 years ago

I think it is a sad time for the American worker. By vilifying teachers and police officers you ignore the real problem. it is not their fault the economy tanked but we throw them to the wolves anyway?

The problem is corporate GREED that created the financial downturn in the first place! Now you keep rewarding that - first by giving them bailouts and then by destroying unions.

Now you expect people to work for pennies on the dollar with little or no benefits? I would never risk my life for that crap and most people won't .

So if you mean by having a sub standard police force and less teachers that is "winning" for American taxpayers- you must be on Charlies Sheen drugs.

• 10 years ago

It's only a slight victory. A real victory would be to abolish the Department of Education and give parents vouchers so they can chose how and where to educate their children.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Not so much of a victory when the government will just find another project to blow our money on.

Next question.

• 10 years ago

no. because the gvt will just use any monies saved to spend somewhere else.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.